No announcement yet.

What ignition coils are recommended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for everyone for their feedback. Because there wasn't any kind of unanimous consensus I ordered the Bosch which had recommendations from some of you. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...70#description I figured if I have any problems I'll send them back and try another brand. After I receive them and install them I can reply back with my results for others on then fence as I was.

Comment

Years ago, all brands of coils were trash. I think BMW has made some improvement and most of the newer brands are pretty good. I want to say these ignition coils fit on some N series engine which may explain why they seem to have gotten better.

Comment

eldor

Comment

Also chiming in that Delphi is a solid option.

Comment

As mentioned above, I opted for Bosch and installed them today and the car runs perfectly. I’m attached pics of the old and new coils for comparison sake. It was recommended to use dielectric grease which I purchased but decided against using it. Since it’s only supposed to be applied to the boot and only a minimum amount, I was concerned that I would get the grease on the spark plug and therefore wouldn’t have metal to metal contact between the plug and coil. It also didn’t appear that the original coils had it on and I still managed to get them off without any problem but it only has 85k miles. Hope this helps.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
              DINAN is using a Delphi coil FWIW.
              Is there much difference between the Dinan and Delphi apart from the blue caps?

Comment

Originally posted by ac427 View Post

Is there much difference between the Dinan and Delphi apart from the blue caps?
                My guess is DINAN is buying them from Delphi with the 10% upgrade in power output and the different color caps. That might be useful for a turbo application, but IDK about NA application.

IMO, it's not worth the $9 extra per coil. I'd just stick to the 3 options from FCP.

Comment

Does anyone know what comes in the OE box from the dealership? Bosch or Delphi?

EDIT: Also curious on country of origin of the Bosch and Delphi units.
                  Last edited by bmrdvr; 04-15-2024, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmrdvr View Post
                    Does anyone know what comes in the OE box from the dealership? Bosch or Delphi?

EDIT: Also curious on country of origin of the Bosch and Delphi units.
                    According to ECS image, it is Delphi - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/12138616153/

Comment

Yeah after doing some more research, I ended up going with Delphi as that seems to be what BMW are using on the newer stuff as well e.g. N55. Of note: FCP had blurb from BMW TIS that mentioned potential corrosion of the metal part on N55 engines - it didn't impact performance but I found it interesting.

EDIT for anyone that cares: FCP notes Bosch from Slovakia and Delphi from Portugal
                      Last edited by bmrdvr; 04-16-2024, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X