No announcement yet.

70° Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep as mentioned lower coolant temp and higher oil temp up to a point is ideal from a power perspective. On my last engine build the OE thermostat that was in the car would operate around 70-72C for whatever reason, when I replaced the cooling system on my latest build it runs “correctly” at 80-82C now. Always wish I could get that old (worn?) thermostat back.

I’ve actually started collecting parts to run an electric pump, have The CNC blockoff plate and was going to PWM control a Pierburg EWP in the Emtron ECU. Using closed loop you can easily target 65-70C under load and 85-90c during cruise and idle for efficiency for example. New OE performance cars (Porsche etc) do exactly this using electronic thermostats and EWPs, often running close to 100-105c at light load and dump the coolant temp when being driven hard and/or in Sport/Track mode.

I looked into a custom thermostat as well but looked troublesome. If this happens I may just ditch the EWP project for simplicity!

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
      When I was helping with the drag race cars Mid/upper 4's in the 1/8th mile (not BMW), we would connect the cooling system to refrigerated cooling system which would get the coolant down to near freezing. It would not be uncommon to have the blocks sweating because they were so cold when we would pull them to the starting line.
      This activated the fuel enrichment, not because engine is more efficient or higher performance.
      oil lubricants is best above 100C,
      more friction loss with cool cylinder walls.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This activated the fuel enrichment, not because engine is more efficient or higher performance.
        What? There is no "fuel enrichment" table based on coolant temp on these cars, some are even carbureted.

Yes, we ran the oil higher temp higher than that, we are talking about coolant temp.
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by BBRTuning View Post
          Yep as mentioned lower coolant temp and higher oil temp up to a point is ideal from a power perspective. On my last engine build the OE thermostat that was in the car would operate around 70-72C for whatever reason, when I replaced the cooling system on my latest build it runs “correctly” at 80-82C now. Always wish I could get that old (worn?) thermostat back.

I’ve actually started collecting parts to run an electric pump, have The CNC blockoff plate and was going to PWM control a Pierburg EWP in the Emtron ECU. Using closed loop you can easily target 65-70C under load and 85-90c during cruise and idle for efficiency for example. New OE performance cars (Porsche etc) do exactly this using electronic thermostats and EWPs, often running close to 100-105c at light load and dump the coolant temp when being driven hard and/or in Sport/Track mode.

I looked into a custom thermostat as well but looked troublesome. If this happens I may just ditch the EWP project for simplicity!
          Beau,

I have exact the same identical case with OEM
          t-stat from 1990 E34M5 with 200k+ it does open
          at around 68°C and New OEM BTT opens at exact
          79°C factory spec. While its kind of cool that is a sign
          of going bad and if it gets stuck closed mama-mia. I
          have solution also for E34M5 3.6 3.8 70°C.

The S54 70°C is ready. In fact, I tested it earlier this
          morning. It works great.

Spec: Opens at exact 70°C fully open is at ~76°C
          closes at 62°C which is perfect. This weekend I will
          install it on Jonathan's freshly build S54 and I need
          to collect data installed in the engine with flow.

In your case with El. fan you can extend the max
          speed, don't know were is your temp sensor installed ?
          its a win win.

People with fan clutch will work great as well, the engagement
          will be earlier and the switch off point on the fan clutch is at around
          65°C

Starting from Next weekend give it max 1 week of
          daily driving conditions and I will be ready to make
          Group Buy for the 70°C.

As much as like EWP and the benefits deep down
          keep coming back to simplify and reliability. Sort of
          EL power steering..to name Volvo pump everyone is
          using etc..but what happens when we go to ButtonWillow
          and the massive Caster loads going directly to the to
          the electrical motor ? I am sure Motorsport el pumps
          are design to take the hi loads but I have better way
          to spent $2500 around the track car with more rewarding
          benefits.

Regards,
          Anri
          Last edited by Anri; 03-04-2024, 11:02 AM.
          https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Rogue sells a t-stat delete. I wonder if that’s would allow the coolant to run even cooler?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Rogue sells a t-stat delete. I wonder if that’s would allow the coolant to run even cooler?
              It's never a good idea to delete thermostat completely.
              The warm up time will be forever which is not good.

The coolant will not run cooler because no matter what
              ones the engine warms up it will never be able to go
              down to say 30-40°C even during winter time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

it would run cooler but you are in effect building a boat engine and should build the engine with that application inmind. There is a very good chance of scuffing the pistons on a race engine as pistons will still get hot and expand at a high rate being Alumnium but the cylinders wont expand much at all with oe cast pistons the clearances are on the tight side of tolerance already. I imagine there are also diminishing returns as there needs to be a delta at all times

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

Beau,

I have exact the same identical case with OEM
                  t-stat from 1990 E34M5 with 200k+ it does open
                  at around 68°C and New OEM BTT opens at exact
                  79°C factory spec. While its kind of cool that is a sign
                  of going bad and if it gets stuck closed mama-mia. I
                  have solution also for E34M5 3.6 3.8 70°C.

The S54 70°C is ready. In fact, I tested it earlier this
                  morning. It works great.

Spec: Opens at exact 70°C fully open is at ~76°C
                  closes at 62°C which is perfect. This weekend I will
                  install it on Jonathan's freshly build S54 and I need
                  to collect data installed in the engine with flow.

In your case with El. fan you can extend the max
                  speed, don't know were is your temp sensor installed ?
                  its a win win.

People with fan clutch will work great as well, the engagement
                  will be earlier and the switch off point on the fan clutch is at around
                  65°C

Starting from Next weekend give it max 1 week of
                  daily driving conditions and I will be ready to make
                  Group Buy for the 70°C.

As much as like EWP and the benefits deep down
                  keep coming back to simplify and reliability. Sort of
                  EL power steering..to name Volvo pump everyone is
                  using etc..but what happens when we go to ButtonWillow
                  and the massive Caster loads going directly to the to
                  the electrical motor ? I am sure Motorsport el pumps
                  are design to take the hi loads but I have better way
                  to spent $2500 around the track car with more rewarding
                  benefits.

Regards,
                  Anri
                  This is great! I'll buy a 70C anyway when they're available and just run that at least for now, the EWP was more of a fun project to play around with but simplicity sounds nice..

Comment

Anri

Do you think there is an application for this in a street driven supercharged car? I'm running a conservative 5.5 pounds of boost.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
                      Anri

Do you think there is an application for this in a street driven supercharged car? I'm running a conservative 5.5 pounds of boost.
                      Hi,

On FI running cooler temp is a must coolant and oil.
                      Supercharges do create constant drag to the crank
                      and loads the system means will generate more heat.

Are you running fan clutch or E-fan ?

Regards,
                      Anri.
                      Last edited by Anri; 03-06-2024, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

Hi,

On FI running cooler temp is a must coolant and oil.
                        Supercharges do create constant drag to the crank
                        and loads the system means will generate more heat.

Are you running fan clutch or E-fan ?

Regards,
                        Anri.
                        Thanks Anri. I'm running a fan clutch.
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

everyone knows lean is mean so enrichment will slow you down....the coolant and oil temp are not the same, nevertheless there is some coupling between the two but you can always drop down the viscoity if the oil temps are too low but this is not normally an issue on endurance type racing engine. Ofcourse on a drag racing engine they will run thin oils due to low oil temp and other reasons

Comment

This is great! I'll buy a 70C anyway when they're available and just run that at least for now, the EWP was more of a fun project to play around with but simplicity sounds nice..
                            Beau,

Years back I read Tech article from I dont
                            remember from Behr or Wahler that in case
                            they go bad they will alwasy stuck open, it
                            has to do something with wax mixture they use
                            inside and the proportion. This will explain why
                            your old one and the one I still have is opening
                            early, its on its way out.

This design thermostat started life on E34M5.
                            This is hi flow design comopared to the older traditional
                            style design. Ever since every manufacture started
                            using this type of thermostat. The E34M5 t-stat is in
                            S62 engine as well.

Regards,
                            Anri

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                              When I was helping with the drag race cars Mid/upper 4's in the 1/8th mile (not BMW), we would connect the cooling system to refrigerated cooling system which would get the coolant down to near freezing. It would not be uncommon to have the blocks sweating because they were so cold when we would pull them to the starting line.
                              I guess for these engines there is no radiator and so this is to make sure the whole block is cold enough for not getting overheated during the race. This is not related to the subject of cooler engine is good for power though.

Comment

I don't see how a 70C engine helps in giving more power -- cool cylinder walls rob the heat (and power) off the combustion gas as the delta temp is higher. I love to hear the reason for better power with 70C cool engine.

The modern cars with mapped Tstat lower the coolant temp to avoid micro-boiling around the exhaust valves during high load, but they don't operate around 70C most of the time as someone just replace a stock Tstat with a 70C Tstat.

Comment

Working...
                                X