Condition of Rod Bearings at 80k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condition of Rod Bearings at 80k

Recently had EAS in the OC do my rod bearings.

they said they looked ok. What are your thoughts?

the car is 2003 and it was the updated version installed during the RB campaign at 7000 miles. Took them off at 80k.

would love your feedback. I separated them so the ones on the left looked like they had more wear but I really don’t know what I’m looking at.
    Attached Files

Those look pretty good to me. Better than the two I have done at 80k.

Comment

Some of them show copper, so it's perfect time to renew.

Comment

Could have gone a lot longer
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Those look great for 73k miles. I would still do them again at 150k. You're at a good point to preventatively replace them. They aren't perfect but also no real risk of spinning.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
            Those look great for 73k miles. I would still do them again at 150k. You're at a good point to preventatively replace them. They aren't perfect but also no real risk of spinning.
            Thanks for that!

It’ll take me a looooong time to get to 150k but hopefully I’ll let the car til then. Is this a time based maintenance item or just mainly miles?

Comment

Fairly average for 73k miles, probably a bit more wear than another I have seen with 120k miles. Could be down to oil change frequency and warm up procedure.

In your first picture, you have 6 lower bearings with the seventh one being an upper bearing shell and that one should be grouped with the 5 upper bearings on the right. The uppers are the ones that wear more and show bearing wipe. Yours were getting into copper on a few, so while they probably would not have failed in 10k or 20k street miles, they were getting there. New bearings can easily go 100k street miles depending on how you operate and maintain the engine.

Comment

while those are better than some they are still well and truly scrap

Comment

Thanks for the info once again.

3 owner (including me) vert since 2003

As I got the car last July, I was told by the 2nd owner to take it easy until the oil warmed up. Upon my ownership, I've been keeping it at 2k rpm til the oil warms up past the first dot.

The 1st owner was an old dude who barely drove it as well and babied it.

good to see that it didn't look too thrashed.

Comment

Working...
                  X