Battery Drain Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Drain Issue

Any suggestions on an issue that has crept up recently. After about a week, the car's battery is completely drained. The battery is 2 years old and the alternator is also 2 years old. Whenever I jump it, I would do a 30 min drive, park it and by the end of the week, it's completely dead. Any ideas on what this could be? I plan on taking it to the mechanic to test the alternator/battery but I am wondering if there are other things he should be checking (other than what he might think of)? I have not had any work done on the engine/electrical system of the car and this seems to have just started randomly. Thanks.

Originally posted by ViN View Post
    Any suggestions on an issue that has crept up recently. After about a week, the car's battery is completely drained. The battery is 2 years old and the alternator is also 2 years old. Whenever I jump it, I would do a 30 min drive, park it and by the end of the week, it's completely dead. Any ideas on what this could be? I plan on taking it to the mechanic to test the alternator/battery but I am wondering if there are other things he should be checking (other than what he might think of)? I have not had any work done on the engine/electrical system of the car and this seems to have just started randomly. Thanks.
    Simple to check: measure voltage at batt posts (not on the cable clamps) with engine idling and report.

You can't expect a 30 minutes drive will fully charge the discharged batt. A fully charged batt should be around 12.6v after engine turned off for 20 minutes.

Comment

Do you leave anything plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet while the car is off? Also check if the glove box light is off when the glove box itself is closed. I had this problem last year and a new glove box light did the trick.

Comment

I recently brought my car in for some diagnosis and got a report that had melted junction block as part of battery drain issue.

Comment

Originally posted by c watson View Post
          Do you leave anything plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet while the car is off? Also check if the glove box light is off when the glove box itself is closed. I had this problem last year and a new glove box light did the trick.
          I have a pretty thorough check and didn't notice anything. I will have him go through everything again. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Sometime, it's just a bad battery. If the battery is still under warranty, have them replace it. I had this happened twice in a row. My battery (Bosch made by JC) died all the sudden one day and it was only 2 years old. Got it replaced under warranty. The replacement (Champion also made by JC since PepBoys no longer carries Bosch) lasted only 2.5 years and the same thing happened. Got it tested and appeared to have a bad cell. I hadn't had any batteries issues previously where I just proactively replace it every 4 to 5 years. I decided to give a Walmart battery a try this time around - will see how well this will do. Seems like JC batteries aren't that well made anymore, especially during the COVID ara

Comment

Working...
            X