Carbon Fiber driveshaft do it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Fiber driveshaft do it

Left my buddies house after dinner while driving home the M started having this loud vibration sound coming from under the center of the car, would feel vibration more as I stepped on the gas and knew it was the driveshaft shitting the bed. This past Fri I drove it another 200 miles to my best friends shop Tri Auto & Body in NYC and even made a pitstop to FCP Euro to pick up some parts

Acceleration def feels faster I’m very happy with this new part but the price has went up a few hundred from the time my buddy got his in few years back but overall car feels like stock again.... great work as always from the guys at Tri Auto
    Last edited by x X Cloud X x; 03-14-2024, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by x X Cloud X x View Post
      Acceleration def feels faster I’m very happy with this new part but the price has went up a few hundred from the time my buddy got his in few years back
      I've been interested in upgrading to CF driveshaft for awhile, I'm curious how smooth they are without center support bearing or guibo?

Comment

Not a lot of context other than a pitch for your buddies shop. Why did you go with "The Driveshaft Shop" over OEM, F80 mod, or YCMF one?

Comment

C/F driveshaft is extremely smooth I was worried about the same thing at first but honestly it feels great stock like but the acceleration with the lightness of c/f and strength cannot go wrong. You can easily lift it with 1 hand vs the heavy oem ds....

I like the piece of mind of never having to worry about another broken oem d.s , I like to overbuild all my cars, especially coming from the MK4 Supra TT 6 speed world (owned it since 2000), we tend to always overbuild with quality parts in case of big future power mods and better buying now then few years later when the price of that cf d.s will go up exponentially

Comment

I haven't read much on the CF drivershaft; where is the splined section for telescopic adjust its length to fit from tranny to diff?

Comment

How did the original DS fail? What broke?

Comment

Does The Driveshaft Shop CF DS use oem guibo? Any NVH? Perfect fitment?
                Last edited by Projecte46m3; 03-15-2024, 12:55 PM.
                2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
                  How did the original DS fail? What broke?
                  I think the CSB went bad and that's all. CF is light and so no need to have CSB.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I think the CSB went bad and that's all. CF is light and so no need to have CSB.
                    That makes sense, CSB is a service item so I wouldn’t really consider this a ‘failure’ but clearly the OP wanted the CF unit which is a cool mod for sure granted there are no downsides..

Comment

Thanks for the review, one question though. Can you measure the diameter of the CV joint and length of everything with the extensions?

We had a similar style one piece DS in a car and the flange would hit the body at times (even with fresh bushings).

(only pic I have of it, now has a stock style shaft in it)

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

I found this on Driveshaft shop website, in case this helps:

This is our 1-piece Carbon Fiber conversion for the BMW E46 (6-Speed Manual Transmission ONLY, will not fit SMG). The shaft is made from 2.75″ x .170″ tube with a 108mm CV to mount to the differential. This will eliminate any possible pinion angle issues. This will make the car seem more athletic and give it a smoother power transfer. This shaft is now being balanced on our new 9500RPM balancer to ensure a perfectly balanced shaft. It comes complete with adapter plates to mount up to the transmission and differential flanges and all necessary hardware for installation.

Comment

These DS are good, but they are usually better on the E9x chassis. Because of our single clutch, the cf driveshafts magnifies the "clunk". It has great feel, but people need to be aware.

Comment

Doesn't YCfM or whatever the acronym is use a 12000rpm balancer. I'm no genius for balancing but I would assume something that is balanced at higher tolerances would be better.
                            Last edited by Cronenberged; 03-19-2024, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I was able to disconnect the stock drive shaft off the guibo without the need to remove it off the Diff by collapsing its length via the splines near the CSB. I guess with the CF shaft, one has to disconnect it off the Diff in order to get it off the guibo - yes?

Comment

Working...
                              X