S54 Oil Filter Housing Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 Oil Filter Housing Issues?

I was curious if it was a common occurrence for the oil filter housing to develop internal leaks that cause oil to drain out of the housing while the car is shut off over time, leading to an almost "dry start" situation when starting up the vehicle again. I only ask because my '05 M3 has developed an issues within the last couple thousand miles where I get a faint rod knock-ey noise for about half a second on start up if the cars been sitting for a few hours. I read somewhere that this could be a issue that pops up, but I can't find too much info on this problem, which is why I ask. I had also noticed when I did my last oil change a few days ago, if I fill the housing with fresh oil and let it sit for a few minutes, that the oil level will go down until the housing is empty, which further reinforces the idea that this could be my issue. Just for added info, the vehicle has about 160k miles, and I had the timing chain tensioner/upper timing chain guide replaced about 12k miles ago, the rod bearings done about 10k miles ago with VAC motorsport bearings, and a complete Vanos overhaul about 1k miles ago with an upgraded exhaust hub/drilled oil pump disk which leads me away from any of these other items being the cause of my cold start rattle.

Check the oring at the bottom of the long bolt. That holds pressurized oil in the oil filter housing. When you do an oil change and take out that bolt, it allows all the oil to drain back into the pan.

Comment

Working...
    X