Internal DME Faults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal DME Faults

So I recently installed my catted headers back on my 2002 M3 and flashed a stock tune. Everything stock is now back on the car and I’ve been trying to set monitors, doing the standard drive cycle several times, and the catalyst monitor does not seem to want to set. I dont have any fault codes, the car runs as it should, and the only thing wrong is 10% and 7% long term trims for bank 1 and 2 which has been the case for a while now (ive been meaning to address eventually). Anyways I figured I would scan with PA soft to see if im missing anything and in the DME section I have 2 shadow fault codes, (Hex) 63 and 59, both internal DME faults. Ive been trying to research what this could mean and if it might have any impact on smog readiness but could find nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Someone on a different forum mentioned that the Internal DME fault in PA Soft is a software bug. I get them too when i clear codes with PA Soft. Try scanning with INPA see if you get a similar code.

Comment

Originally posted by tomasidris View Post
      Everything stock is now back on the car and I’ve been trying to set monitors, doing the standard drive cycle several times, and the catalyst monitor does not seem to want to set.
      The only way to find out is to log the post cat signals and compare with the precat signals. Post cat signal should be near 0.8v most of the time but with ocationally swing to 0.2v pulses. So post the log coolant temp, pre and post cats at cuising speed and at hot engine idle. Using Datazap link is even better.

An example:

Comment

This was what i was able to log for pre and post cat sensors using obdfusion. Was really trying to make something else work like testo to get better logs but just couldn’t get it working. Hopefully this shows something. You can see i did logs at hot idle and at around 3k rpms.

Comment

Originally posted by elrichmeister View Post
          Someone on a different forum mentioned that the Internal DME fault in PA Soft is a software bug. I get them too when i clear codes with PA Soft. Try scanning with INPA see if you get a similar code.
          Thanks, think thats the case with me too. Cleared some nerves lol

Comment

This was what i was able to log for pre and post cat sensors using obdfusion. Was really trying to make something else work like testo to get better logs but just couldn’t get it working. Hopefully this shows something. You can see i did logs at hot idle and at around 3k rpms.
            Don't post the graphs from a phone screen as it's too hard to see. Go to Log > File, then select and the file then SHARE, which emails the file to your email, then post the file here or upload to Datazap then post the link to the datazap file.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Don't post the graphs from a phone screen as it's too hard to see. Go to Log > File, then select and the file then SHARE, which emails the file to your email, then post the file here or upload to Datazap then post the link to the datazap file.
              Heres a hot idle log: https://datazap.me/u/tomasidris/e46-...a=6&zoom=0-249

Ill also get a cruising log asap.

Comment

And heres the log cruising at 60 on cruise control: https://datazap.me/u/tomasidris/e46-...=6-10-11-12-13

Comment

And here's the log cruising at 60 on cruise control: https://datazap.me/u/tomasidris/e46-...=6-10-11-12-13
                  O2 sensors look ok at hot idle, but MAF is a bit high -- should be around 4.9g/s at idle. Yours is around 5.1, a bit higher and this can cause a little rich mixture.
                  Post cat sensor2 switching too much and I believe this is the reason for failed CAT monitor for smog ready. Could be old tired sensor, or bat cat that couldn't treat the exhaust gas.

Both post cat signals show they don't switch to high or low far enough (compared with precat and easily can tell) , should be higher than 0.8v and lower than 0.2v. I would install new post cat sensors and see if this helps.

Comment

O2 sensors look ok at hot idle, but MAF is a bit high -- should be around 4.9g/s at idle. Yours is around 5.1, a bit higher and this can cause a little rich mixture.
                    Post cat sensor2 switching too much and I believe this is the reason for failed CAT monitor for smog ready. Could be old tired sensor, or bat cat that couldn't treat the exhaust gas.

Both post cat signals show they don't switch to high or low far enough (compared with precat and easily can tell) , should be higher than 0.8v and lower than 0.2v. I would install new post cat sensors and see if this helps.
                    Sounds good man, thank you. Ill order some sensors now and clean my maf off 🤙

Comment

One more thing, someone mentioned my hot idle engine temp are too low at around 85 c which could be affecting my catalyst readiness. I alr ordered a new thermostat since I have been noticing the needle pointing towards cold while driving a lot of the time but what do you think?

Comment

Did some more logs after cleaning the maf and the maf values def look right now. However the o2 voltage is pointing even more to the cats just being fucked. Post cat voltages match up pretty much exactly with pre’s. Ordered a bosch o2 sensor off amazon thatll come tomorrow which ill log with, and if no change then I know its the cats.

idle: https://datazap.me/u/tomasidris/e46-...4&zoom=142-215

cruising: https://datazap.me/u/tomasidris/e46-...g?log=0&data=8

Comment

One more thing, someone mentioned my hot idle engine temp are too low at around 85 c which could be affecting my catalyst readiness. I alr ordered a new thermostat since I have been noticing the needle pointing towards cold while driving a lot of the time but what do you think?
                          85C is normal temperature for M3, so no need to replace Tstat.

Comment

85C is normal temperature for M3, so no need to replace Tstat.
                            Just logged a hwy cruise with the new bank 1 downstream sensor. I think it looks better

Comment

Just logged a hwy cruise with the new bank 1 downstream sensor. I think it looks better
                              https://datazap.me/u/tomasidris/e46-...g?log=0&data=8
                              Bank2 post cat still switched to below 0.45v too many cycles and this would fail the monitor.

Comment

Working...
                              X