Headlight trim removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight trim removal?

Anyone have a good video/guide they follow to remove the headlight trim?? I'm having a really hard time, I've watched YouTube guides and looked around but I still don't understand how to remove the last tab (closest to the wheel).

I’ve used a small flat head and a smooth pick to get the tab released. That tab will sometimes break no matter how careful.

what are you removing it for? For most headlight work you can leave the trim attached by that last tab and rotate the trim out of the way. Safer than breaking a tab.

Comment

Originally posted by E11even View Post
      I’ve used a small flat head and a smooth pick to get the tab released. That tab will sometimes break no matter how careful.

what are you removing it for? For most headlight work you can leave the trim attached by that last tab and rotate the trim out of the way. Safer than breaking a tab.
      My passenger headlight is out, I've replaced the bulbs but it is still not working. I'm reading that it could be ballast or igniter so I'm trying to pull out the entire headlight so I can test it out.

Comment

Gotcha. I have my headlights out currently to get upgraded. Here’s what I did.

Rotate the trim forward about 30 degrees. Then used this mini pry bar. Get it in the tab levering it back while pulling the trim straight back with my other hand.

Hope this helps. Still 20 yr. Old plastic still may not be forgiving.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by E11even View Post
          Gotcha. I have my headlights out currently to get upgraded. Here’s what I did.

Rotate the trim forward about 30 degrees. Then used this mini pry bar. Get it in the tab levering it back while pulling the trim straight back with my other hand.

Hope this helps. Still 20 yr. Old plastic still may not be forgiving.
          THANK YOU! I think it makes a little more sense. You said you have currently have your headlights out? If possible, would you be able to send me a pic of the plastic tab of your trim (the side by the corner lights)? I'm trying to get a better idea of how exactly it clips in.

Comment

Of course.
            Attached Files

Comment

I just replaced the lenses on both my headlights and that trim was a f-ing nightmare on my passenger side. I watched the FCP euro video of changing the lenses and they made everything seem as easy as possible. I had to use a pick like the posts above to get the one side out. Only by looking at the other side and seeing how it locks in. Basically just push the tab with the pick and slide it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin2772 View Post
                I just replaced the lenses on both my headlights and that trim was a f-ing nightmare on my passenger side. I watched the FCP euro video of changing the lenses and they made everything seem as easy as possible. I had to use a pick like the posts above to get the one side out. Only by looking at the other side and seeing how it locks in. Basically just push the tab with the pick and slide it out.
                That's exactly what I use - a small 90° pick tool. The videos don't explain it to well, but once I shined a flashlight in there to see the clip, it made sense.

Those photos of the trim piece above should be helpful.

Comment

This may help...

►Like any car built after the mid-nineties, the BMW E46 M3 uses a plastic headlight lens. While lightweight and inexpensive, the plastic is known to yellow, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin2772 View Post
                    WOW I appreciate everyone's input. I was able to successfully get it out today with the help of a friend! An absolute nightmare to do, but glad that it finally popped out. Took a lot more force that I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by drivem3 View Post

WOW I appreciate everyone's input. I was able to successfully get it out today with the help of a friend! An absolute nightmare to do, but glad that it finally popped out. Took a lot more force that I thought.
                      When taking apart your headlight the large interior black plastic trim piece that wraps around the bulbs and bulb wells can be very fragile along the top due to age. Be careful with that.
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                      X