Viable Harmon Kardon 6x9 sub replacement for $50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viable Harmon Kardon 6x9 sub replacement for $50

First post on this forum. This is weird because I may have owned my E46 M3 longer than a few of you have been alive at 21 years. I recently did a ton of upgrades to the car. But that's for a later post. I was finally able to install the Bavsound Harmon Kardon E46 upgrade kit. After I finished that I was concerned about the 20+ year old sub 6x9s out back. I researched and found some Amazon 6x9s at $25 a piece. They are 35 watt 4 ohm subs so you have to drop them to 2 cause that little amp back there is north of $400 and it would be wise not to blow it. I had to do a few mods and buy some female/male piggyback terminals as these speakers only have 1 positive and 1 negative male terminal. This is done to drop the OHMs. After I was done one 6x9 needed a small mod with a Dremel tool to line up the mount, probably due to a factory installation error, and bolted right up. A picture I did not take is that it is wise to put an OHM meter on the finished product to make sure it's done correctly. They do sound good. However, some more sound deadening like modifying the mounting points a bit more might help. I'll keep you posted. Any advice is welcome to make this a more effective fix.

One of the pictures is an error. I have the long gray going to the speaker and it should be the short gray. Here are a few more pics I just took with the ohm meter readings to make a 2-ohm final impedance.

Comment

So you're only running one channel now?

"Dropping the ohms" is not what you think it is. Yes putting two in parallel halves the impedance but that actually doubles the load on the amplifier. It's easier for an amplifier to drive 4 ohms than 2 ohms. It will give less power and thus less volume though.

So what happened to the second channel? I'm pretty sure the HK "subs" are driven individually by a 2 channel amp. I see 4 wires in the picture. Are two just wrapped in crappy electrical tape?
      Last edited by Shonky; 04-06-2024, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X