Help solve that noise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help solve that noise!

I have a noise that is becoming a bit more persistent, especially after spirited driving. Car has about 127k miles and is on the original clutch (SMG trans).

The video is of the car in neutral, about half way through I place it in first gear and try engage the clutch. When placing in gear and again when engaging, the noise goes away. My guess is the pilot bearing or release bearing but would like some opinions before I service the clutch and cross my fingers hoping it's one of those.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Appreciate any help.

It's hard to tell when gears were engaged and when clutch engaged. You need to hold up a sign to help us.

Bad TOB should have more noise when shifting gear.

So it's either bad pilot bearing or dual mass flywheel if the noise gone during shifting gear.

Comment

As far as engaging, as soon as I put any pressure on the throttle the noise goes away. Again, SMG so I imagine this is the beginning of the release of the clutch.

Edit, not the best video. Certainly didn't think it all the way through prior to taking it. Was betting on the sound being descriptive enough.
      Last edited by beyondm3; 04-07-2024, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Sounds like when I had a bad throwout bearing...might be time to do the clutch and all associated parts.

Comment

Working...
        X