Fuel system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel system

Hello everyone. I recently was driving and had the car start to sputter and eventually die on the side of the road. I was actually heading to the gas station as the fuel light had just come on. I remembered that as I took the car out I had to turn the key twice to start it. Symptoms of a bad fuel pump. Bought a new pump-still wouldn’t start. I can hear it prime so it sounds like the pump is working. Did the secret menu and the car shows 9 liters in the left and 0 in the right. Pulled out the sending unit on the drivers side and that black hose was disconnected. Looks like the tab that holds that in must have broken and that seems like that is where the sending units fail. Got a new one of those, connected the black hose and it still won’t start. My only guess is that there is so little fuel in the pump side that it can’t siphon fuel over from the left. The hidden menu still shows 9l on the left and zero on the right.

My thought is I should put some gas in it to see if it will start to siphon. Anything else to look at? Maybe the filter?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Add fuel. Second option would be to jack up front and rear driver's side to let fuel flow to the pump side.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeks View Post
      Did the secret menu and the car shows 9 liters in the left and 0 in the right.
      With no fuel in the R tank then the pump just moving air and so it can't siphon fuel from L to R tank. Add fuel.

Also should have checked the tanks volume before replacing the pump assuming it's bad.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

With no fuel in the R tank then the pump just moving air and so it can't siphon fuel from L to R tank. Add fuel.

Also should have checked the tanks volume before replacing the pump assuming it's bad.
        Yes, I know I did it backwards and spent some money I didn't need to, it's done now.

I'll get some fuel in it tomorrow and see if that gets it going.

Thanks everyone.

Conclusion: Once I got fuel in the car it ran fine. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by sleeks; 04-14-2024, 04:38 AM.
        2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Comment

Working...
        X