Clutch and Flywheel Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch and Flywheel Combo

Hey guys, about 5k miles ago I fitted the bimmerworld clutch and flywheel kit which comes with clutch masters clutch and pressure plate with a JB Racing lightweight flywheel. I now absolutely hate the flywheel chatter and noise it makes when accelerating and was hoping to get some feedback on whether I could fit a new flywheel in there or if I'll need to get an entirely new kit?

I assume this is the BimmerWorld Lightweight Clutch/Flywheel Kevlar Street Kit? You're experiencing chatter in neutral and during acceleration? Is the chatter that bad? I would assume an aftermarket exhaust would mask chatter noise.

The only way to avoid the chatter is to have the oem dual mass flywheel (DMF).

2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post
      I assume this is the BimmerWorld Lightweight Clutch/Flywheel Kevlar Street Kit? You're experiencing chatter in neutral and during acceleration? Is the chatter that bad? I would assume an aftermarket exhaust would mask chatter noise.

The only way to avoid the chatter is to have the oem dual mass flywheel (DMF).

Yes, I’ve got that kit installed.
      Would I be able to swap the DMF with the LWFW? Or is it not compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by Notan_S54 View Post
        You can just buy an OEM DMF and clutch. They're dirt cheap.
        Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by Notan_S54 View Post
          Yes, you can swap in the DMF to pair with the Clutchmasters Kevlar clutch.
          2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post
            I would assume an aftermarket exhaust would mask chatter noise.​
            I have megan headers and the BW race...it does an excellent job of drowning out any transmission rattles...and all other rattles.

The 420g is a rattler. I have the same JB racing flywheel and pressure plate - only swapped in a sprung hub E34 M5 clutch disc - when I did the 5 speed conversion. It was a LOT quieter than the 420g.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I have megan headers and the BW race...it does an excellent job of drowning out any transmission rattles...and all other rattles.

The 420g is a rattler. I have the same JB racing flywheel and pressure plate - only swapped in a sprung hub E34 M5 clutch disc - when I did the 5 speed conversion. It was a LOT quieter than the 420g.
              Don't know how your exhaust managed to drown that out; I had headers + SS unres all the way to the back and that clutch chatter has just multiplied since putting the OE headers and section 1 back in lol I wish I could've kept it full race car, but it's been converted to a daily.

Comment

OP you converting your car back to a more stock car is going to result in more posts like this.

Before you change anything else, just ask yourself, "Is this hunk of shit going to annoying me again?"

The answer is yes.

Run a stock flywheel because I agree chatter sucks haha.
                2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                2005 BMW ///M3
                Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

OP is trying to reduce noise and people are telling him to find other ways to make the car louder instead?? interesting..

Even the OE/OEM DMF rattles - I can't even imagine what these 'light' versions sound like. I can't say if the OE flywheel works with the BW clutch but I would advise you to swap the whole set-up with OEM (Luk) instead of half and half. This way you know it will work, it will likely last you as long as you own the car, and you can sell the BW kit complete and get most of your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
                    OP is trying to reduce noise and people are telling him to find other ways to make the car louder instead?? interesting..

Even the OE/OEM DMF rattles - I can't even imagine what these 'light' versions sound like. I can't say if the OE flywheel works with the BW clutch but I would advise you to swap the whole set-up with OEM (Luk) instead of half and half. This way you know it will work, it will likely last you as long as you own the car, and you can sell the BW kit complete and get most of your money back.
                    Will probably end up going this route. Didn’t know if people would be interested in a used kit, but I guess it’s only got 5k miles on it!

Comment

Would you buy a used clutch?

I'm a big fan of the ACT setup I have in my car, it feels like stock but holds twice the torque... unfortunately it does make a bit of chatter at red lights. Not terrible, but I can hear it.

If you're close to stock power levels there's no reason a new OEM clutch wouldn't be a great idea.
                      2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                        Would you buy a used clutch?

I'm a big fan of the ACT setup I have in my car, it feels like stock but holds twice the torque... unfortunately it does make a bit of chatter at red lights. Not terrible, but I can hear it.

If you're close to stock power levels there's no reason a new OEM clutch wouldn't be a great idea.
                        Personally have only used new parts on this car. But yeah, oem is what I will end up going back to. The chatter kinda makes the car feel like it’s not very mechanically sound lol recently rode in a buddies that had the stock clutch and all I can say is man I miss it! haha

Comment

I sold my used OE flywheel, pressure plate and disc when I converted my SMG at roughly 100K miles. The kit looked new and I got almost the same $ it cost me to buy a brand new Luk kit. The guy wanted OE BMW rather than brand new Luk and he still got a deal compared to brand new genuine BMW parts.

I did a 6MT (ZF) swap on my non-M car and the OE donor clutch kit also looked like new with very little wear. Same deal as above - someone paid good money because it was OE and I got myself a brand new Luk kit.

I personally prefer new parts as I don't like replacing things twice, hoping most things I do touch last the car's lifetime, at least during my ownership. However, I don't see why someone wouldn't pay at least 70% of retail price for your BW kit - granted that's exactly what they are looking for. This thread would give me enough confidence to buy your kit used as it's clear there's nothing wrong with it, you simply don't like the chatter. I would think most of the forum members think the same way.
                          Last edited by PetrolM3; 04-12-2024, 05:24 PM.

Comment

People will definitely buy a used clutch and flywheel kit.

If you are happy with the clutch and pedal feel as is then I would start by calling Clutch Masters and ask them.

If you don't like the clutch then I would swap back to a OE LuK setup and be done with it.
                            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
                            X