Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC Racing BR Coilovers - Quick Review

Hey Folks,

My M3 Comp came with some really worn out ST Coilovers on it. The fronts were particularly bad, and were mostly frozen - making the drive incredibly bouncy and small rocks became painful. With a HPDE coming up I took the opportunity to replace them with some BC Racing BR coilovers. I chose BC because they're affordable and come assembled and pre-loaded with a camber plate. I used the shock tower reinforcement plates (F&R) from Turner as well. I know they're not top-of-the-line kit like Ohlins, but to be honest, I'm quite impressed with them.

Installation was easy, about 2 hours start-to-finish. From a ride height standpoint (on 19" wheels), the fronts shipped at exactly the right length for 13.5" hub-to-arch, which is the ideal height for good looks and performance. The rear adjusters have to be set since it's a divorced configuration, but I found that 33 mm measured by a caliper from the bottom of the seat to the top of the mount (reusing the rubber upper pad from OEM) was exactly right for 13.25" hub-to-arch on the rear.

They have 30 'clicks' of adjustment, and I have them on # 15 for driving around town. It's about spot on, good planted feel but won't break your back over bumps.

I have not gone full soft or full hard yet - though I will probably add 5 clicks for the HPDE. If anyone has any suggestions there, I'd like to hear them!

I'm pleased with the BC's so far, and while they may be manufactured in Taiwan it does appear as though they're made to a higher quality standard. I'll add more as I use them!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2485.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	261415
    Last edited by Andratch; 04-15-2024, 12:10 PM.

Ohlins were only 15 min away

Comment

Quick setup cheat sheet for single adjustable dampers: set them full soft, increase 2 or 3 clicks at a time until they are too harsh, then turn it back down 1 click. Do the front first.
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Currently have mine at 20F and 15R. Gives a nice blend of performance and street ability. This setup was made when I had a super aggressive wheel setup and super low though.

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
          Ohlins were only 15 min away
          I know. I couldn't swing the cost even with your stellar deal Someday, I will experience the excellence of Ohlins.....

Comment

Originally posted by Andratch View Post

I know. I couldn't swing the cost even with your stellar deal Someday, I will experience the excellence of Ohlins.....
            I honestly can't comment on their excellence, I'm going to give the a go since I have them. You're welcome to drive it and do a comparison if I ever get this pile of parts back on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post

I honestly can't comment on their excellence, I'm going to give the a go since I have them. You're welcome to drive it and do a comparison if I ever get this pile of parts back on the road.
              I went from BCs to Ohlins and in this specific comparison, I can confirm "excellence".

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post

I went from BCs to Ohlins and in this specific comparison, I can confirm "excellence".
                Did the vehicle raise a notable amount making that change?

I understand the BC's likely lower the vehicle a bit too much for perfect suspension geometry, but I dig the look of mine, but in the end will get some Ohlins when I can.
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Did the vehicle raise a notable amount making that change?

I understand the BC's likely lower the vehicle a bit too much for perfect suspension geometry, but I dig the look of mine, but in the end will get some Ohlins when I can.
                  BCs have independent height adjustment without affecting spring compression so it's more adjustable than Ohlins. With the Ohlins, I followed the recommended adjustments with stock top hats and it sits at 13.5/13 front/rear which is a bit lower than how I had it.

Comment

Working...
                  X