6-speed Resistance Changing Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6-speed Resistance Changing Gears

Hey all, maybe someone can send me in the right direction before I start tearing into things.

My car became very resistant to changing gears all of the sudden. I noticed it as soon as I started the car when cold. In every gear, I had to give probably 50% more force than normal to shift. This is while stopped with the car off just moving the lever and while driving. About five minutes into driving, I was about to turn around because one particular shift from 3rd into 4th had to be really forced, and some whining and grinding from the transmission accompanied that shift.

This was the only noise the transmission made-although this issue seems to have coincided with a clunk right under my feet-only at low speeds. That began a few days ago, and I jacked up the car for a quick check and nothing in the suspension was loose. Not sure if this is related at all or a timely coincidence. Could the transmission mounts have blown out? I changed them not more than 5,000-10,000 miles ago though. Same with motor mounts.

After that, it started freeing up. I drove more and it got better and better. Oddly, fifth gear was still stiff for awhile after the others, but that also freed up to by the time I got home. By that point, the transmission felt about 80% right, but there was still more resistance than normal. RPM makes no difference.

There's no leaks. The clutch has 60,000 miles, the pedal felt fine, and the engagement point was the same as always. The issue is purely related to moving the gear lever. The transmission has worked perfectly for the past 10 years until today.
    Last edited by 01SG; 04-23-2024, 04:56 PM.

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
    In every gear, I had to give probably 50% more force than normal to shift. This is while stopped with the car off just moving the lever and while driving..
    Clutch has nothing to do when engine off shifting with no clutch pedal involved. This means the main shift rod detent sleeve roller is bad, which is located at upper rear left - also called GPS. Remove and check spring and roller.
    But I would disconnect the shifter of the tail shift rod first and try to move the shift rod to engage gear to see if problem occurs or not. If same resistance then proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Clutch has nothing to do when engine off shifting with no clutch pedal involved. This means the main shift rod detent sleeve roller is bad, which is located at upper rear left - also called GPS. Remove and check spring and roller.
      But I would disconnect the shifter of the tail shift rod first and try to move the shift rod to engage gear to see if problem occurs or not. If same resistance then proceed.
      Thanks for the info, I'll be back with an update in a few weeks when I get into it.

Comment

Working...
      X