Cleaning plastic panels under car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning plastic panels under car.

Before I end up wasting a bunch of money on cleaning products that don’t work, does anyone have a tip for how to clean the coating off these panels?
    I soaked them with bug and tar remover then power washed the snot out of them, but that basically did nothing.

Dry ice

but also, why do you want to remove the coating? It’s factory installed.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

I think he's talking oil residue on the plastic panels, typically from the sieve of a power steering system we have. Over time, the oil converts to a white residue that I haven't found anything suitable to remove it.
      '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
        I think he's talking oil residue on the plastic panels, typically from the sieve of a power steering system we have. Over time, the oil converts to a white residue that I haven't found anything suitable to remove it.
        Are you referring to this kind of stuff?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iLUAA...BTo/s-l500.jpg

Because this was applied at the factory..

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Yes, that’s the stuff. I know it’s factory, but over the years has chipped off; It just looks crappy.
          The pictures I’ve seen of underside refreshes with these cleaned up look good, so while I’m under there...

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post

Are you referring to this kind of stuff?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iLUAA...BTo/s-l500.jpg

Because this was applied at the factory..
            Get out! The location of the coating made me believe it was leak-related, such as: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OgksOQxRMBY/maxresdefault.jpg

Never imagined, thanks for clarifying.
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

The panels on my M5 don’t have it and they’ve held up fine over the past 20 years. I wonder why they put that ugly coating on the M3?

At one point I went to town with brake cleaner and towels thinking it was some kind of tar ... should have just left it I guess.

Comment

Embrace the patina
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I vote embrace!

But if you want to remove it, dry ice will pop it off.

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

I had no idea all that crap as factory I figured my previous owner had either driven through something. I had pretty good results with mineral spirits if I remember correctly acetone doesn't work

Comment

Mineral spirits will take it off

Comment

Coincidentally, I did this project last weekend and took a few pics. I had every underpanel off the car as I'm just wrapping up a refresh of damn near everything under the car. All of my panels were coated thick with oil, PS fluid, diff fluid, driveshaft cv joint grease, etc. This is my first time working under this car and it's pretty obvious they hadn't been cleaned since 2002. Took almost an entire day but they came clean eventually.

The panel referenced here https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/iLUAA...BTo/s-l500.jpg was the only panel with hardened coating that wouldn't come off after soaking in engine degreaser. I applied a heat gun, more degreaser and the edge of a razor blade on this panel. A similar substance is on the subframe and heat shield where the driveshaft meets the diff input flange.

A few pics of the project and results of that panel in particular. For me it was worth the effort to put this car back together with everything clean and looking right.

2002 E46 M3, 6MT | Stahl Grau Metallic with Imola Red Interior
                        Rogue Engineering El Diablo Exhaust with ECV | 4.10 Diff
                        Koni Yellows / Dinan Springs | AFE Stage 2 Intake

Comment

I'd like to do that and I really want to media blast/re-paint the two exhaust crossmember pieces.

Check out this Redish full underside restoration, very nice!

Last edited by Cubieman; 05-22-2020, 04:51 PM.
                          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                          Instagram

Comment

Working...
                          X