Did I kill my hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I kill my hub

In the process of replacing the rear wheel bearings, I went to cut the inner race off the hubs and got a little greedy. Do I need to replace the hub, or should I just slap new bearings on and send it?
    https://youtu.be/DupF0_t6jSY

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1627.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	269712
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1628.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	269713

It's probably fine but I'm no expert

Comment

Cobra is likely correct, but putting rear bearings in these things is like dying and going to hell. I'd spring for a new hub.
      Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Not an issue as this isn’t a surface the bearing spins on like a crankshaft or something similar.
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

I’ve accidentally done this on my track car years ago and it never caused an issue after many hours on track. As said above, the wheel bearing is pressed onto the hub as an interference fit and there is not movement between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_R View Post
            I’ve accidentally done this on my track car years ago and it never caused an issue after many hours on track. As said above, the wheel bearing is pressed onto the hub as an interference fit and there is not movement between the two.
            Ah good to hear. Track abuse is exactly what I was worried about.

Comment

Send it.

This would only be an issue if this was the inner race. The concern would be the gash would cause a hot spot and create many issues. There is air which does not transfer heat like the steel.

It still likely causes a hot spot but not to such an extent that it will ever be a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X