S54 custom pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 custom pistons

I am looking for companies that specialize in manufacturing custom pistons for BMW engines. I am interested in ordering pistons tailored to the specifications of my engine for decked block and head. If you have experience with such companies or can recommend someone, please share the information.

Already emailed to Mahle Motorports and JE pistons. JE priced my pistons for 2600 USD, wow.

Mahle MS 4032 grade AL for a naturally aspirated engine

Comment

If you settle on the Mahle Powerpaks and you're building it for HPDE or road racing, I'd recommend going just slightly looser on the ring gaps than their spec especially if you're cammed. I had to tear my motor apart and open the gaps up a bit because they were just barely touching after ~10 mins at HPDEs causing loss of compression and crankcase pressurization (oil through the CCV, white smoke out the back, black flag, etc.) Luckily, it wasn't catastrophic.

Think robgill had a similar experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post
        If you settle on the Mahle Powerpaks and you're building it for HPDE or road racing, I'd recommend going just slightly looser on the ring gaps than their spec especially if you're cammed. I had to tear my motor apart and open the gaps up a bit because they were just barely touching after ~10 mins at HPDEs causing loss of compression and crankcase pressurization (oil through the CCV, white smoke out the back, black flag, etc.) Luckily, it wasn't catastrophic.

Thanks! Will sort it out if Mahle will answer🤣

Comment

CP-Carillo also makes S54 pistons.

edit: Previous owner of my car had high compression Mahle pistons and also suffered oil ingestion issues. The car was also cammed.
          Last edited by DJAM3; 06-28-2024, 10:14 AM.
          2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
          Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
          Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

I am running CP pistons in my car. I have not put a lot of miles on the motor to say how good they work.
            I sourced mine through Achilles Motorsports. Might want to call and ask them if they can get them made to your spec. They do have some options.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

2002 E46 M3 TiAg Coupé >> full tracktool conversion @m346gt
            2000 986 Boxster S >> ice cream getter
            Past: E46 330Ci, 944S2, 996 C4S

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
              I am running CP pistons in my car. I have not put a lot of miles on the motor to say how good they work.
              I sourced mine through Achilles Motorsports. Might want to call and ask them if they can get them made to your spec. They do have some options.

Thank you for your advice. Ordered CP pistons through Lang Racing. Will post the result

Comment

Little update.
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks good.
                  What's the weight of one piston including pin and rings?

2002 E46 M3 TiAg Coupé >> full tracktool conversion @m346gt
                  2000 986 Boxster S >> ice cream getter
                  Past: E46 330Ci, 944S2, 996 C4S

Comment

Originally posted by BMWfanz View Post
                    Little update.
                    Jeez, those look like more than 11.5:1. Is that to recoup compression with the new cams?
                    2006 Silber Grau Metalizat ZCP 6 MT M-texture (F2AT) - Turner CSL V2/CatCams 280 272/SSv1/SS Sec1/Sec2 dual res/SCZA TI (raw) - FatCat stage 3 ult 400f/784r - EC7r 18x9.5 ET35/CRS 275/35/18 - RacingBrake BBK/MileEnd CSL bumper/Vorsteiner Trunk/Cobra Nogaro Circuit Mtexture/GC RCA/YURKan Cages/Hotchkiss/Vibra-technics/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/htrlo/

Comment

Originally posted by ethan View Post

mind me asking cam and gap specs?

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                        Looks good.
                        What's the weight of one piston including pin and rings?

Will measuere it and post soon!

Comment

Originally posted by CrisSilberGrau View Post

Jeez, those look like more than 11.5:1. Is that to recoup compression with the new cams?
                          Spec is stock 11.5 CR, because valve reliefs is +2mm Exhaust and +1.5mm intake deeper than stock-center part of piston look like id has increased CR but it is to compensate reliefs. I had a problem with piston to valve clearence with my decked head and block, so on stock gasket final CR will be near 12.

Comment

Working...
                          X