Water pump impending failure symptoms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pump impending failure symptoms?

Are there any audible warning when your water pump is starting to give up?

I cannot see any fluid leaks. However, the expansion tank level warning lamp came on and the float was very far down. I had to add about half a litre of coolant to get it to float up to the top.​

You could take the fan, shroud, and belt off and give it a spin, also check it for play.

While you are at it check the rest of the system for leaks, it’s often fairly obvious as coolant leaves residue when it dries.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Thank you. Is there a knack to removing the fan shroud?

I thought i would have a go at it once but to get it out it looked like I might need to remove the radiator to get it out.
      Last edited by ac427; 07-04-2024, 02:08 PM.

Comment

No visible leaks. Coolant is missing. What makes you think it's the water pump?

Comment

Check the weep holes on the water pump housing if you suspect it is leaking. The first sign of my failing water pump that I noticed was the ring of dried coolant that the pulley slung around the engine bay.
          2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by ac427 View Post
            Thank you. Is there a knack to removing the fan shroud?

I thought i would have a go at it once but get it and though I might need to remove the radiator to get it off.
            When taking out the shroud, you have to get this portion to slide through the small opening between the upper radiator hose and the rad -

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
              No visible leaks. Coolant is missing. What makes you think it's the water pump?
              Hello login ID brother

I do have some noise from the front of the engine but i'll have to do the screwdriver against the bearing to identify the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

When taking out the shroud, you have to get this portion to slide through the small opening between the upper radiator hose and the rad -

Thanks, is that the piece with a push in plastic rivet half way down?

Comment

Originally posted by ac427 View Post

Thanks, is that the piece with a push in plastic rivet half way down?
                  Facing the engine bay, it is the top right side with the screw. There is a small gap near the upper rad hose where it will slide through. After you do it once, it is easy to remove the shroud. Once the shroud and fan are loose, the fan comes out first and then the shroud.
                  Last edited by Slideways; 07-04-2024, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X