Vanos?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanos?????

So today, bc I was bored, thought I'd go to the car and sit in it and start it up. Then I was like, oh let me see my clean a*s engine bay.
    That's when I noticed this minor sound at idle. No revs.
    Take a listen and let me know what you think.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Edit: link added

​​​​​​
    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
    Last edited by bhoom_S54; 07-12-2024, 05:16 PM.

Originally posted by bhoom_S54 View Post
    Take a listen and let me know what you think.
    ​​​​​​
    No specific link to your video.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
      No specific link to your video.
      Oh thanks for catching that. I updated the post. Appreciate it.

Comment

There is a light rattle; otherwise, normal mechanical VANOS noises and nothing alarming. Have you replaced the cam bolts and upper chain guide?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          There is a light rattle; otherwise, normal mechanical VANOS noises and nothing alarming. Have you replaced the cam bolts and upper chain guide?
          I have not. Purchased the car two months ago. This is on my list to do next.

Would you recommend Besian systems or mr Vanos?

Comment

Beisan, mainly the upper chain guide, redrilled oil pump disc and sealing plate o-rings. I'd only do the VANOS seals if it does not pass the VANOS test or if the engine is high mileage. The solenoid pack is up to you, but that is easy to replace at a later date if/when it fails. If you are having a shop do the work, it is probably best to have them do all the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Beisan, mainly the upper chain guide, redrilled oil pump disc and sealing plate o-rings. I'd only do the VANOS seals if it does not pass the VANOS test or if the engine is high mileage. The solenoid pack is up to you, but that is easy to replace at a later date if/when it fails. If you are having a shop do the work, it is probably best to have them do all the above.
              I was originally looking to buy a entire new VANOS unit but seems like getting the rattle kits and etc might save me money.

The car has 92k miles.

Comment

Your video sounded normal to me... These engines are not very refined, they are noisy.

Comment

the little noise could be cam bolts backing out, if not vanos roller bearing rattle.
                  I would imediately remove vanos and check the 12 bolts as loose bolts can lead to ruined engine, and vanos rattle does not kill engine.
                  for the smaller drilled holes pump disk, only send the original disk for redrill and keep every parts: don't swap out for new disk and the pump 4 pistons are matched to the disk. Otherwise you might have pump pressure issue or destruction due to seized pistons damaged the larger roller bearing.

Comment

Working...
                  X