(Recommendations) Let’s talk brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Recommendations) Let’s talk brakes

Looking to refresh the brake system on my 01 coupe in 1 shot (not a believer in piece meal approach for big systems). Looking for recommendations based on the following.

1. street use with an occasional autox, very unlikely to see any track time.
    2. Stock or better performance.
    3. Minimal draw backs (noise, dust, excessive cost, short longevity , etc.)

Thinking stock may be best with perhaps stainless steel lines and performance fluid but interested in feedback.

Sounds like you've already arrived at the best conclusion.

IIRC most of these threads conclude stock pads are best if you don't want to deal with dust and noise. Just upgrading to stainless lines and nice fluid is the way to go as you stated. Only other thing I can add would be a relatively cheap upgrade to performance would be the bimmerworld solid caliper bushings - probably not essential though... EDIT - after watching the vid associated with my first link looks like they've come out with a nice hybrid option in the last few years.

Depending on budget there are a few rotor options you can look at - slotted for better brake pad performance - stay away from drilled as they have a tendency to crack.

There is also 2 piece rotors which help braking performance as well but I think others have concluded the performance gain here is marginal and you might as well put that money towards a BBK at this point.. but to each their own.
    Last edited by DI46LO; 07-13-2024, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Stock. Once you start getting into track days, then you have to start looking into track pads and fluid.

Comment

I run stock, with CSL/ZCP pads up front. Works fine for me on the street. From there, I'm going to go ZCP rear calipers (which I have a set ready) and run the Gyrodisc front rotors (which I have a set of ZCP brackets for).

Comment

Centric Blanks, Good Pads, Better Fluid
          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
          2005 BMW ///M3
          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

I just completed a full overhaul.

I went with Zimmermann rotors, Akebono pads, new oem bushings, and oem lines.

if your going to be doing anything more than street driving you might want to go with something different than Akebono pads.

I wish I knew about the hybrid bimmerworld bushings- that seems like a really great solution for street cars.

On lines - it’s my understanding that the internal section of the oem line is steel - so there is no benefit to move to aftermarket SS lines.

For fluid I recently discovered this Bosch fluid that has an excellent spec sheet
            ESI6 is the next generation brake fluid designed for today's modern braking systems. Designed by the industry's leader in braking technology for vehicles using DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone, will poke around TMS and build a kit there.

Comment

Working...
              X