ACL Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACL Bearings

In the middle of doing rod bearings. Local machine shop told me caps and rods are color coded (red, blue, yellow, etc). Havent seen anything to support this. Also, ACL bearing package says bearing halves are identical. Can these bearings be installed in any particular order?

More importantly, what are the clearances for s54 rod bearings?

Bearings are identical, don’t have clearances off the top of my head.
    2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
      Can these bearings be installed in any particular order?

yes

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...arings/5v3615B
      https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...engine/2f2DfzJ
      Welcome to ACL Race Series Performance Engine Bearing catalogue for Europe. ACL bearings have a proud and rich history in Motorsport well know among engine builders. Whether you look for bearings for BMW, Peugeot, Ford, Renault, Audi or other applications, we have you covered!

but i didn't measured anything. just replaced them.
      2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
        In the middle of doing rod bearings. Local machine shop told me caps and rods are color coded (red, blue, yellow, etc). Havent seen anything to support this. Also, ACL bearing package says bearing halves are identical. Can these bearings be installed in any particular order?

The mains are color coded, but the rod bearings are not.

There is a red and blue for the rod bearings (if you buy OEM), but that refers the upper and lower shells. I don't know which one is which off hand.

Comment

Blue is rod, red is cap,
          '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
          Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
          Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Blue sky (top), red hell (bottom) for oem. Standard ACL bearings are the same for cap and rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post
              Blue sky (top)
              Thats how I remember it too.

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
              Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
              Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

ill be doing ACL bearings too in the next couple of weeks. just wondering if there is a run in procedure after swapping them or no need? cheers

Comment

Why is OE color coded if they're the same...just curious? The original ones that were pulled off my car had similar stamping on all 12 pieces and don't look any different other than wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Xmetal View Post
                    Why is OE color coded if they're the same...just curious? The original ones that were pulled off my car had similar stamping on all 12 pieces and don't look any different other than wear.
                    I looked up the M54 and M62 bearing shells on realoem and it turns out BMW does this blue/red color designation for all their bearing shells, even for the alternate sizes. I can't think of a good reason why they would be different, other than the newer BMW Turbo engines with the upper shell red coating to help with start/stop.
                    Last edited by Slideways; 05-25-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X