Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are my new-ish filth encrusted spark plugs okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are my new-ish filth encrusted spark plugs okay?

While trying to chase down a few different issues (one of which is hard starts), I pulled my plugs today to inspect and see if swapping them between banks would change fuel trim behavior (another issue).

They're pretty new, only 3k miles and a few months old, but all 6 of them seem to have accumulated quite a bit of dust/filth on the electrodes and ceramic. I'm wondering if this is cause for concern and points to an issue, or if this amount of buildup is normal in this little mileage? I did some googling and found some articles on "reading spark plugs" and mine don't seem to look like what any of the pictures said was "normal". Some of the insulators look like they're coated in sand. They kind of look like pictures of plugs that articles said were indicative of running lean? I would imagine this kind of buildup would inhibit spark? Or am I just wrongly projecting my issue onto a hopeful cause here? Some example pics below, all 6 look like this. Thoughts and expertise appreciated! :]

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9069.png Views:	7 Size:	866.8 KB ID:	28078 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9070.png Views:	7 Size:	902.3 KB ID:	28079 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9067.png Views:	7 Size:	734.0 KB ID:	28076 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9068.png Views:	8 Size:	729.1 KB ID:	28077
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ATB88; 05-25-2020, 12:01 AM.

The combustion mix looks good on those pics.

Comment

Working...
    X