Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car won't crank, what alternator, starter to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't crank, what alternator, starter to get?

So out of nowhere car did not even grant today. The battery is 3 weeks and I drove the car on Monday fine. It is like 100% humid and has been pouring two days here, but never been a problem before. I will charge the battery overnight and will try again tomorrow. Two questions:
    1. Best way to check the alternator and starter? I have the Schwaben scanner if it can read voltage from the ECU.
    2. Is it ok to buy remanufactured Bosch or Valeo alternator and starter?
    Thanks.

First check the battery to see if the voltage is 12.3 volts or higher, and make sure the terminals are on TIGHT!

Comment

That’s a definite + 1 ^

if it is the starter/alternator I would definitely do Valeo units if I had to do it again. I’m currently on my second Bosch unit in two years. Current one has been good so far (knock on wood).

Comment

I pulled out a Valeo (original) and put in a new Valeo starter. Been 5 years 53K with no issues.

Comment

It looks like the battery was drained and since it is a new battery the problem should be either alternator or some circuit is draining it.
          I hear you on Valeo, thanks!

Comment

If the battery is drained I would not change the starter. As a matter of fact, even if the starter is bad after changing mine this weekend, I would rather burn the car

Did you have the alternator light coming on while you were driving last? If not I would look elsewhere, maybe you left a light on or something.

I changed both my alternator and starter with Valeo units. Bought the alternator from Tischer BMW and the starter from RockAuto. The alternator is a piece of cake to change, the starter ... as I said burn the car lol.

Comment

Yep no alternator light while driving. Will think about possible current leaks.

Comment

So I've charged my battery and trying to start the car starter click one time and it looks like something spinning (sounds like a fan) in there, but no cranking? Can it be a solenoid? Should I get a solenoid or just get the whole Valeo starter? Also, Anything in that black box on the positive terminal in the trunk can cause that(just came across people saying it on the internet)?

Comment

Could be the Bendix.

Honestly changing the starter is such a pain in the ass that I would suggest getting the whole thing and being done with it for a while.

Comment

thanks! 👍

Comment

Working...
                    X