SMG expert needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG expert needed

First things first, the car shifts and drives perfectly. Zero issues in that area. The problem I have is that while running through the SMG adaptations in INPA, I got the "window size too small" error for 6th gear. Fiddled with it for a while (cleaned and lubed the actuator shaft and knuckle) and could not make it go away, so now the car has the yellow cog and a check engine light. I ran adaptations multiple times after that with the car hot and cold with no change.

Based on the information I found online​, I​​ purchased a used GPS and installed it, 6th gear passed with no issues, but now 5th gear gives the same "window size too small" error. Again, multiple passes with INPA were unsuccessful.

Based on what I've read, it could be the GPS, actuator, actuator knuckle or compression springs. I feel like it's the GPS, based on the fact that the error changed with the new (used) part, but before I drop $500 on a new GPS that may or may not fix the issue, has anyone actually fixed this issue? There are a lot of stories of the actuator knuckle fixing the problem, but the knuckle is simply a straight barrel connector that joins the actuator shaft and the shifter shaft, and is pinned on both sides. I don't see how replacing can do anything to address the actual problem.

I just want the lights to go away. The car drives and shifts perfectly, but I haven't even been able to clear the SMG error code without the light coming back right away.

SMG owner here and I've fought my share of battles, however with that said I haven't run into this. My impression of what occurs with GPS failures is slow shifts or missed gears. The same for compression springs, delayed shifts, gear skips, or the inability to get into a gear(s).

Since you are not experiencing any of these symptoms I think perhaps the actuator or that joint is more likely. However you cleaned and lubed that joint so....
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by 992gnt View Post
      First things first, the car shifts and drives perfectly. Zero issues in that area. The problem I have is that while running through the SMG adaptations in INPA, I got the "window size too small" error for 6th gear. Fiddled with it for a while (cleaned and lubed the actuator shaft and knuckle) and could not make it go away, so now the car has the yellow cog and a check engine light. I ran adaptations multiple times after that with the car hot and cold with no change.
      I can't recall that message specifically but I had to run my adaptions many times before it would bite and get through it. Very annoying to say the least. I'd run the adaptation at least 10-20 times or more (on a good charger) in a row before your throw parts at it.
      M3cutters had a post about that message IIRC and it looks like you did the appropriate thing to mitigate it but I would search that forum, it has traditionally been 4th gear that gives that error.

Comment

Lubing the joint doesn't really do anything though. On a 6-speed car the joint moves since the angle of the shifter shaft changes, on the SMG the shaft is fixed in the actuator and only rotates or moves in/out. I guess we really just cleaned the shafts and made sure there was nothing impeding the movement of the shifter and actuator shafts.

I never considered running the adaptations that many times, I'll give that a try this afternoon, thanks.

Comment

Never run the adaptations myself, but I remember reading somewhere that people had success running the adaptations in other software after INPA failed. Maybe it was DIS but I can't remember. I bet ISTA can do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepstools View Post
            Never run the adaptations myself, but I remember reading somewhere that people had success running the adaptations in other software after INPA failed. Maybe it was DIS but I can't remember. I bet ISTA can do it too.
            Last time I did this on my own car I'm pretty sure it was in DIS, not INPA directly. Worth a shot assuming you have both.

Comment

I don't have ISTA or DIS. I did run adaptations in INPA probably 15 times this afternoon, and it never got past the window size too small for 5th gear error. Oddly when. I took it for a drive afterwards, I got a yellow brake light and TCS light, delayed shifting, and eventually a reluctance to go into 2nd gear. To be fair, the last time through adaptations I made a software break prior to it faulting out, so maybe it was unhappy with that. At any rate, I went through all 3 routines again until it errored on 5th gear, and the car drove fine after that.

It still isn't quite the same as before I ran adaptations this afternoon, so I may just pull the trigger on a new GPS and cross my fingers.
              Last edited by 992gnt; 05-30-2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 992gnt View Post
                I don't have ISTA or DIS. I did run adaptations in INPA probably 15 times this afternoon, and it never got past the window size too small for 5th gear error. Oddly when. I took it for a drive afterwards, I got a yellow brake light and TCS light, delayed shifting, and eventually a reluctance to go into 2nd gear. To be fair, the last time through adaptations I made a software break prior to it faulting out, so maybe it was unhappy with that. At any rate, I went through all 3 routines again until it errored on 5th gear, and the car drove fine after that.

It still isn't quite the same as before I ran adaptations this afternoon, so I may just pull the trigger on a new GPS and cross my fingers.
                INPA is just fine. I have DIS and INPA and I had often read that people thought one worked better than the other. The reality is the same routines are being run behind the scenes. INPA is simply the retarded little brother that ran on Windows. I was curious one afternoon so I actually clocked the time DIS and INPA would complete the full set of adaptations on my car and, surprise, they were within one second of each other.
                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Have you flushed your system at all? Have you ever removed a line or exposed it to air? Has the airbox come off? Do any of the components seem damp or seep?
                  This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

SMG pump was replaced by a previous owner sometime in the last 3-4 years, I've never opened the system and there are no leaks. Can't say if the airbox has ever been off, but I'd assume so when the pump was replaced.

Comment

Since running adaptations a bunch of times at once (see above), I ran through them once more and the car has been driving like it's old self since then, Lights are still on though, so a new GPS is going in tomorrow. Hoping that fixes it, or I'll be gathering parts for the swap.

Comment

Not the most direct fix, but the SMG cog is gone and the car drives fine.

So originally the error was in 6th gear, replaced the GPS with a used piece and the error moved to 5th gear, and now with the new GPS and ran adaptations, and it error'd out on 4th gear. After much tinkering and running through adaptations, I remove the two rearmost bolts that hold the actuator bracket on and moved the bracket up and down a little bit. I decided to leave the bolts out and run adaptations, and to my surprise it completed without issue and I bolted everything back together. The last step is to set the clutch bite point, but with the exhaust and driveshaft on the ground, that wasn't possible (was also replacing the rear pinion seal), so the computer went to sleep and by the time I was ready to start the car INPA was no longer connected. Oh well, it made it through the hard part, right?

Took it for a drive and had no second gear. Ran adaptions in the driveway, still no second gear, cog came back, car was un-driveable and I'm looking for some matches. We put it back on the lift, and were able to remove the 2 actuator bolts and run adaptations again. No errors, and I was able to complete the clutch bite point test as well. Bolted the actuator back down, and here we are. Drives fine, shifts fine, no lights, and the clutch engagement point is so much better.

The question now is why? With the back of the actuator unbolted from the back of the transmission, the bracket moves a LOT when running through adaptations. I'm not sure I understand how that allows there to be no window size issues, or how it works perfectly after being bolted back together. Any ideas?

Comment

OP, have you gone into INPA "Special Tests" and run the "Actuator Bleed", "Clutch Bleed", and "Completion" recalibration? Those "reset" the SMG system and adjusts for worn parts, etc. Takes about 30 min in total.

Comment

Many, many times. That is the adaptation routine I'm referring to.

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post
                            OP, have you gone into INPA "Special Tests" and run the "Actuator Bleed", "Clutch Bleed", and "Completion" recalibration? Those "reset" the SMG system and adjusts for worn parts, etc. Takes about 30 min in total.

Comment

You didn't change any detent springs while you were in there? I'm having similar issues and it's telling me gps, and I too have bought a used one. I'm hoping it's not even the GPS and it's the springs. I will be changing them out and basically rehauling the transmission, then when done I'll tackle the pump and change the internals with new seals. For me it's like riding a bike and then the chain pops off and I have no gear. At that point I have to throw the hazard lights on, turn the car off, wait some time and hope the indicator comes up 0 and shifts up. Then I have to drive like a b#@ and make sure she drives soft so my chain doesn't pop off and I hurt my shins.

Comment

Working...
                              X