Yellow tag rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellow tag rack

I'm seriously thinking about the steering rack swap to a yellow tagged rack. I've always thought the steering on the M3 was to slow for the track. Anyone have tips and things to look out for?

thanks!

Look out for a good condition .712 and don’t look back.

TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Same ratio as the zcp rack, so it plays nicely with DSC if you have a Mk60 car. I enjoy mine.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunG View Post
        I'm seriously thinking about the steering rack swap to a yellow tagged rack. I've always thought the steering on the M3 was to slow for the track. Anyone have tips and things to look out for?

thanks!
        It's a great upgrade for the E46 M3 in my opinion and it provides very quick steering. The ratio is the same as the popular z3 rack at 13.7:1 but you get more lock with the 712/ZHP rack. One thing to note that may catch people off guard the first time they drive the car with this rack is that at the very limit of steering lock the 712/ZHP rack can "catch" making it feel like the rack is actually locking when you reach full steering lock. It usually only happens at slow speeds when going to the absolute limit of steering lock and is easy to avoid. If it happens you just provide a bit more force to unwind the wheel and steering goes back to normal. Awhile back BMW offered a "stroke limitation kit" to limit the lock and prevent it from reaching the point that this would happen but to me it's not an issue. Just wanted to point it out though in case you get this rack and encounter that.

I just installed a 712 rack among other front end components for a customer last week and he's very happy with the steering feel. His text to me when he got home was "there is literally no more play on the wheel, every ever so slight movement of the wheel makes the car do something, it's awesome"
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4456.jpg
Views:	1953
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	29964

Name:	IMG_4458.JPG
Views:	1906
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	29965

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        Same ratio as the zcp rack, so it plays nicely with DSC if you have a Mk60 car. I enjoy mine.
        That's incorrect. The CSL/Competition Package ZCP rack has a ratio of 14.5:1
        SF Bay Area Vanos, Rod Bearings, Inspection II, etc. Services : Member Feedback
        E46 M3 Track Videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/DanAvon

Comment

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
          The difference is due to suspension geometry differences between the M3 and non-M. Both racks displace 50mm for every turn of the pinion. So a 330 rack installed in an M3 will have a ratio of 14.5:1. In fact, so far there don't appear to be any E36/E46 fitment steering racks that are faster than 50mm/rev. Even the Z4MC with it's 12.8:1 is a 50mm/rev rack (that fast ratio again being due to suspension geometry differences).

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...rmation-thread

Comment

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
            It's a great upgrade for the E46 M3 in my opinion and it provides very quick steering. The ratio is the same as the popular z3 rack at 13.7:1 but you get more lock with the 712/ZHP rack. One thing to note that may catch people off guard the first time they drive the car with this rack is that at the very limit of steering lock the 712/ZHP rack can "catch" making it feel like the rack is actually locking when you reach full steering lock. It usually only happens at slow speeds when going to the absolute limit of steering lock and is easy to avoid. If it happens you just provide a bit more force to unwind the wheel and steering goes back to normal. Awhile back BMW offered a "stroke limitation kit" to limit the lock and prevent it from reaching the point that this would happen but to me it's not an issue. Just wanted to point it out though in case you get this rack and encounter that.

I just installed a 712 rack among other front end components for a customer last week and he's very happy with the steering feel. His text to me when he got home was "there is literally no more play on the wheel, every ever so slight movement of the wheel makes the car do something, it's awesome"

Name:	IMG_4456.jpg
Views:	1953
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	29964

Name:	IMG_4458.JPG
Views:	1906
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	29965

Ok, I just bought the rack(Yeah!). What else would you recommend I get? How much can I reuse off the old rack?

Comment

What is the best place to get a 712 online. I dont need to get the right and left arms with ball joints as mine are brand new.

Comment

Working...
              X