OEM BMW Fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM BMW Fluids

Hey guys need some help,I am going through all my fluids again and it seems things have changed/no longer available since the last time I did this years ago?

Hopefully this information all in one place will help others out as well. I wanted this only to be OEM fluids unless their are blessed, tested, and proven alternatives out there. I'll try to complete as much as I know but please add/correct to this list.

*Please update/correct the info below with the correct quantities needed and/or new part numbers.

TLDR - Where are you buying your MTF-LT-2 fluid from and what is the new part number? Also what are you using for your power steering fluid that specifies ATF only, part number please.

BMW Brake/Clutch Fluid
    Dot 4 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid High Performance
    Size: 12 FL OZ
    Part number: 81220142156
    Quantity needed: 3?

BMW Coolant/Antifreeze
    Size: 1 gallon
    Part number: 82141467704
    Quantity needed: 2? mix 50/50 with distilled water

BMW Diff Fluid
    SAF-XJ + FM Booster Rear Axle Fluid
    Size: 16.9 FL OZ
    Part number: 83222282583
    Quantity needed: 3

BMW Trans Fluid (No longer available?)
    MTF-LT-2
    Size: 5 liters
    Part number: 83220309031
    Quantity needed: 3 liters?
    Is this an alternative? https://www.ecstuning.com/b-febi-par...220309031~feb/

BMW Power Steering Fluid (No longer available?)
    BMW ATF D III
    Size: 1 Liter?
    Part number: 83229407858
    Quantity needed: 1 quart?
    Is this an alternative? https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...ns-fluid-29934

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
    Build///Journal
    IG: Khan_Art_

For PS fluid, you can use any Dexron III (or Dexron VI, which is backward compatible) ATF from the local auto parts store.

(I had a bunch of leftover Havoline synthetic from another car that I use).

Comment

ATE Typ 200 is more or less the same price as OE BMW fluid but might be locally available in a pinch. If you're driving on the street any DOT4 will be fine, even auto parts store brand. Freshness is the key there.

Here's a thread on the trans fluid that will answer your questions to avoid repeating the same discussion here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...smission-fluid

ATF is ATF is ATF. Anything Dex III+ (ideally synthetic) is fine, higher quality (specifically higher boiling point?) fluid may be better for track use since the PS fluid can get pretty hot.

I've always used OE BMW coolant in all my BMWs. $20 for a gallon of concentrate? No reason to use aftermarket and worry.
      Last edited by r4dr; 06-09-2020, 08:48 AM.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

You can still get oe Bmw mtf-lt2 from ecs.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Somebody on the orig M3forum had a ton of MTF-LT2 as well. Kaiv? I picked up a pair at a local auto parts store right as it was becoming unobtanium, and had recently changed it before that so I'm good to go for a few years before I'll even need to use it.

Comment

I got 10 liters from Kaiv a year or two ago. I believe that the 5 liter jugs are still available at Canadian BMW dealerships, may be worth getting someone to ship you some if you know any canucks.

Also remember reading a while ago that the same exact transmission fluid is used in a Hyundai, so Hyundai dealership service deparments have barrells of it and you can buy it from them. Someone back me up on this?

Comment

New part number for MTF-LT-2 is 83222339219
              '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
              '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
              '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
              '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post
                For PS fluid, you can use any Dexron III (or Dexron VI, which is backward compatible) ATF from the local auto parts store.

(I had a bunch of leftover Havoline synthetic from another car that I use).

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

ATF is ATF is ATF. Anything Dex III+ (ideally synthetic) is fine, higher quality (specifically higher boiling point?) fluid may be better for track use since the PS fluid can get pretty hot.
                Thanks! This is the confirmation I was looking for on the PS fluid. I'll just use a quality synthetic Dex III ATF fluid.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                You can still get oe Bmw mtf-lt2 from ecs.
                It must be the 5 liter jug that is no longer available.. at least on ECS.

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post
                New part number for MTF-LT-2 is 83222339219
                Perfect, So I guess you can only get it by the Liter now... 3 Liters about the correct amount for a drain and refill? I bought the 5 Liter jug when I did this years ago and have about 2 liters left that is why I say that but I could have gave some to a friend..

Thanks again.

Build///Journal

Comment

Originally posted by KhanArt View Post
                  So I guess you can only get it by the Liter now... 3 Liters about the correct amount for a drain and refill? I bought the 5 Liter jug when I did this years ago and have about 2 liters left that is why I say that but I could have gave some to a friend..
                  2 liters for transmission fluid.
                  2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Comment

Originally posted by sina View Post

2 liters for transmission fluid.
                    Thank you
                    Build///Journal

Comment

MTF-LT2 was replaced with MTF-LT3. you can use Pentosin FFL-4 DCT fluid as well.
                      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I remember reading on M3F about Pentosin MTF-LT2 still being available at NAPA.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                          MTF-LT2 was replaced with MTF-LT3. you can use Pentosin FFL-4 DCT fluid as well.
                          LT3 is for other transmissions.

FFL-4 is the current official recommendation, but also certainly less specific to our transmission… I wouldn’t run it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

LT3 is for other transmissions.

FFL-4 is the current official recommendation, but also certainly less specific to our transmission… I wouldn’t run it.
                            LT3 is listed for E92 M3 6spd which uses MTF-LT2 as well. for some reason LT3 is not listed for E46M but i assumed it was good enough for that as well
                            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

I've heard mixed responses so I'll ask here.

Does opened gear oil, in this case MTF-LT-2 have a shelf life?

The cap has obviously been closed tightly but the seal has been broken. I used what I needed years ago and the remainder sat. I purchased a 5 liter jug at the time.

I wouldn't even consider using it but since this OE fluid is like $40/liter if I'm not mistaken, I rather not waste what I have.
                              Build///Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X