Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Section 1 & 2: SuperSprint vs OEM

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some help with my setup. I've been running Status Gruppe headers, SuperSprint section 1 & 2 (their original section 2), SS Race muffler and an Evolve-R tune. Stock intake and everything else otherwise.

I just had my OEM section 1 & 2 installed in an attempt to make my car quieter, which didn't happen (much). So my question is this:

- Given my headers (not stepped), am I actually losing any power going from the SS section 1 back to the OEM section 1?

- Would I require a re-tune now?

If the answer to either is yes, I'd be tempted to go back to the SS section 1...

I got my Evolve-R tune a long time ago when I got the headers, but honestly I don't know how "custom" it is and thus whether a re-tune would actually be needed. Evolve didn't even require any datalogging on the road like any other car I've had remotely tuned. IIRC, I only did some logging at idle, they sent me a tune and that was it.

I've also been told the SS original section 2 is restrictive. I haven't found much evidence that this is true for someone like me with just a header and a tune.

A lot of questions and not a whole lot of answers, especially with the old forum being down. Thanks in advance for any help!

Going back to stock pieces didn't quiet it down since there's no muffling. A resonator can help a bit, but mostly with rasp or unwanted frequencies (not volume).

Powerwise, you're splitting hairs between 2.25" stock sect and 2.37" SS sect 1. Powerwise, you'll get some back going from SS sect 2 x pipe to stock sect 2. SS (and copy cats) x pipe sect 2 guts the midrange for more top end, but what I've seen is a loss and not much more up top. I don't see any place for the old SS sect 2 anymore except in fine tuning the sound (again not volume, but tone). It has more of a tuner sound, rasp killer.

No re-tune nec. Get a proper dyno tune if and when you move to stepped headers/cams/airbox or some combo thereof.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Going back to stock pieces didn't quiet it down since there's no muffling. A resonator can help a bit, but mostly with rasp or unwanted frequencies (not volume).

Powerwise, you're splitting hairs between 2.25" stock sect and 2.37" SS sect 1. Powerwise, you'll get some back going from SS sect 2 x pipe to stock sect 2. SS (and copy cats) x pipe sect 2 guts the midrange for more top end, but what I've seen is a loss and not much more up top. I don't see any place for the old SS sect 2 anymore except in fine tuning the sound (again not volume, but tone). It has more of a tuner sound, rasp killer.

No re-tune nec. Get a proper dyno tune if and when you move to stepped headers/cams/airbox or some combo thereof.
      Thank you! That's exactly the feedback I was looking for.

The whole non-resonated SS setup sounded amazing until I got the headers. It seems like a more substantial muffler would be the best way to quiet it down, but I had to try! With the OEM section 1 & 2 the car is still just as loud on cold starts and at WOT, the main difference is that the noise is now distinctly coming from the muffler whereas before it was just loud everywhere.

Based on what you're saying, I'm inclined to just sell my SS section 1 & 2 (for anyone interested, I plan to list them soon). For now no plans for a CSL/stepped setup as the car is a nice example and I want to leave it relatively unmolested, but I'm still not sold on the Evolve-R tune for the reasons I mentioned. It was all the rage back when I got it, but now there seem to be plenty of other options. I noticed you have some Evolve-R bits, curious what tune do you have?

Comment

You're welcome. I got alpha n tune upgrade from them in 2017 and a modded one early 18 iirc that I still use today. Imho a canned tune comes down to luck and good engine maintenance/health. Mine is great but remember almost every tuner at some point has a group that hates them for a shitty tune (and some do do shitty tunes.)
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Tbonem3 thanks! It was just surprising to me that custom tuning wasn't an option because a stage 1/2 OTS tune is something I would get for free with an Openflash tablet, Cobb Accessport, etc. on other cars. And to be honest, in my experience they aren't very good, other than serving as a baseline for a custom tune. Maybe the E46 M ECU is different and a canned tune is good enough.

Comment

Well we the members have two recently blown engines with B spec so until some further data comes out, that one is probably a no go. Ian thinks it's allowing too much knock which is BAD.
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
              Well we the members have two recently blown engines with B spec so until some further data comes out, that one is probably a no go. Ian thinks it's allowing too much knock which is BAD.
              Arith2 that's awful! As far as I know, B Spec is not even a CSL/Alpha N tune. Does the new forum have a tune comparison/feedback thread? I haven't been able to find much yet.

Comment

I am tuning soon with HTE on E85 and with Supersprint exhaust, I'll post my results. 👍
                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Working...
                X