Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 rear door panel keeps popping off

Hi

I know this sounds basic but i'm struggling here.

When I was removing the B pillar covers to upholster them I saw the door card in the rear was hanging off. When I tried to pop it back in it kept coming out just to right of the B pillar cover. I figured it was just old clips so bought new ones but still no luck. Is there a technique to this?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200613_084225.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	34073
    Attached Files

Make sure all clips are properly inserted. You most likely have one clip that is not inserted all the way that is keeping the panel from seating properly. You also need to make sure the door panel is tucked under the felt trim on the top and side before you push the panel all the way on. I use a flashlight and take a look all the way around to make sure the clips are in place before I push the panel on all the way.
    '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
    '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
    '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
    '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

This sounds dumb...you have to use the correct color clips in the correct place. There’s white, yellow and gray. Get the updated part with the felt washer.

Look at real OEM. I think the panel takes a gray or yellow clip in the front where it’s popping off.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
        This sounds dumb...you have to use the correct color clips in the correct place. There’s white, yellow and gray. Get the updated part with the felt washer.

Look at real OEM. I think the panel takes a gray or yellow clip in the front where it’s popping off.
        EDIT: this one?
        51418224768 still can't see yellow though?

I only have white clips, no felt. Looking on realoem, there's only two part numbers, one white one grey?
        https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_3732
        Last edited by adamstuchlik; 06-13-2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

I just did this yesterday so i know its a PIA.
          Some tips:
          1) Count all the clips and know exactly where they are beforehand so you have an idea where to pay attention
          2) There are two separate plastic rods on top that like to bend away from their holes and create tension against the panel. Make sure you know exactly where they are
          3) It helps to insert the panel starting from the far top corner next to the back cushion toward the trunk. Make sure that far top corner clip goes in and then work your way out one clip at a time
          4) Also, once you have the panel generally in place, you can try to shake it up and down while pushing it against the car. This helps the clips "catch" the holes.
          5) Lastly the edges of the weather strip easily gets caught under the panel and creates tension. If you have your panel already inserted then make sure to release the edges of the weather strip using a credit card or something similar.

Hope this helps
          Last edited by yhp2009; 06-13-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Name:	IMG_20200607_141019.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	34244 Thanks all for the input. I've ordered the grey and new style clips to see if it helps as otherwise it's just not working. I did take this photo when I removed the panel but given it was already hanging off I don't know if the clip colors are right or make a difference? Realoem is no help

Comment

Scouring eBay for pics of the rear side of door panels and found that there are 3 grey clips in the corner on most. Last owner must've tried to install with white clips only. Hopefully when the grey ones arrive it will be ok

Name:	Screenshot_20200613-184621.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	34250

Comment

Working...
              X