Will this tire size work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this tire size work?

I have stock 19" Style 67 Wheels. I've read the tire threads, which pointed to this combination, but I'd just like some additional confirmation that this combination will work without any modifications to the body on the stock 19" wheels before I order: 245/35/R19; 275/30R19. The stock 225/245 was killing me on the track this weekend, especially the 225 up front.

tim

see sticky thread near the top of the e46 page
    Last edited by Hallerhan; 06-14-2020, 05:06 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
    ‘02 LSB M3 (11k original miles)
    ’03 Oxford Green M3 (Turbo’d)

Comment

Originally posted by Hallerhan View Post
      see sticky thread near the top of the e46 page
      Yeah, I read thru that thread, that's where I found that size combination, If possible, I just wanted to hear from someone that actually installed that combination before ordering.

Comment

I found the confirmation on another site. I'll give this size combination a try and see how it works while I tweak the suspension....Excellent tire sticky above, thanks.

Comment

I recommend light weight 18" wheels down the road. such as 18x9.5 with offset 35 then consider offset 22. Square setup and run 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 all 4 tires. This will help you a lot on track. Stock 19s are too heavy!
          You should run 200 tread wear tires for better handling. a lot more research can be done
          2005 IR M3 Slick Top 6speed. Mods - too much to list!
          18 R8 RWS.
          19 Vantage
          15 YMB F80 M3 DCT - gone
          Other cars too boring to list.

Comment

you can read tire fitment below
            Make sure it fits. See our detailed guide with square & staggered fitments for your 2001-2006 BMW E46 M3. View photos of street & track setups.
            2005 IR M3 Slick Top 6speed. Mods - too much to list!
            18 R8 RWS.
            19 Vantage
            15 YMB F80 M3 DCT - gone
            Other cars too boring to list.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post
              I have stock 19" Style 67 Wheels. I've read the tire threads, which pointed to this combination, but I'd just like some additional confirmation that this combination will work without any modifications to the body on the stock 19" wheels before I order: 245/35/R19; 275/30R19. The stock 225/245 was killing me on the track this weekend, especially the 225 up front.

tim
              If 225 up front was killing you from understeer (I'm hoping you mean 225/255) then I feel like 245/275 will still push due to maintaining a 30 mm stagger. Square tires give more neutral handling (usually), but where in the turn do you get understeer?
              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

245/35R19 and 275/30R19 are the biggest you can go before some rubbing. Bridgestone Potenzas are small enough for 285 but I doubt you'd want to run that tire on a track. It's a good looking set-up but I know people are doing 255s square for track cars on stock rims. They use the same rim all around also. The was an M3F thread on this very thing. Hopefully someone has it.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Thanks for the above, really helps out. I need tires now, so I think I am going with 245/275 on the stock 19" Rims for now, which should be fine, but you guys now have me thinking about going to a square setup for the track, which is what I'll prob do for the fall sessions. BTW, great track car, very easy to drive, even with the 225/255.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperboost View Post
                    I recommend light weight 18" wheels down the road. such as 18x9.5 with offset 35 then consider offset 22. Square setup and run 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 all 4 tires. This will help you a lot on track. Stock 19s are too heavy!
                    You should run 200 tread wear tires for better handling. a lot more research can be done
                    This. I run 18x9.5 ET35 with 265/35-18 200TW tires all around. Best thing I ever did to the car. When I ran staggered what would happen is you would have old rubber up front and new rubber in the rear (since rears wore out quick) and the traction would be so mismatched that the car would handle like crap. Since we went square I just swap rubber every track weekend. You get more consistent wear and traction and end up swapping all four at the same time. The neutral handling ends up with a fair amount of tramlining during street/highway driving tho. But for the track its awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperboost View Post
                      offset 35 then consider offset 22.
                      Do you mean offset 35 "OR" consider offset 22? Didn't really understand that statement.

I am looking at the (18x9.5) EC-7R, and EC-7 ET35. Are there any pro's/con's going with ET22 instead of ET35?

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

Do you mean offset 35 "OR" consider offset 22? Didn't really understand that statement.

I am looking at the (18x9.5) EC-7R, and EC-7 ET35. Are there any pro's/con's going with ET22 instead of ET35?
                        ET 35 is an easier fitment that requires less camber than et22. if you go et22 you might need to roll fenders to get them to clear.

Comment

I have the EC_7s 9.5 ET 35 square all the way around with
                          Michelin 265's on all 4 corners
                          I have no fitment issues or no issues with clearance I have the H&R sport spring set with koni single adjustables
                          2004 M3 Mystic Blue

Comment

Excellent, Thanks guys. I'll keep researching, but I am pretty sure I am headed with the EC_7s 9.5 ET 35 square setup for track. Car came with TCK Adj Konis, 400/500lb springs, Camber Plates, and Turner S-Bars, so I've got a decent baseline to work with.
                            Last edited by Flat-Six; 06-16-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

With those parts you should be able to do 275s square pretty easily due to the combo of camber plates and coilover springs (narrower than the OE-style beehive springs). Though I wonder if 265 track tires which always run wide are a faster choice on a 9.5" wheel.
                              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Working...
                              X