Bumper paint fade fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumper paint fade fix?

Wondering if anyone has had issues with paint fade on the rear bumper (see pics) and if so how you went about fixing it. I take pretty good care of the paint with waxes and occasional paint sealer, but this particular spot isn’t holding up well. If needed I will simply pull the bumper off and respray it, but if possible I’d like to avoid that hassle. Has anyone with a similar issue had any success with repeated polishing or waxing? Several coats of wax have reduced the affected area but not made it disappear, so I’m wondering if I keep adding layers of wax will it restore the paint. Or perhaps there is some other product I am unaware of that will restore the paint?

Click image for larger version  Name:	C8B97371-3714-4D3A-9E11-C8FED3D051B0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	34784 Click image for larger version  Name:	E64041AA-6377-4336-B050-0F5EE85EB8DB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	34783
    Attached Files

Sorry to say that, but simple answer is no. If it is only clear faded then you maybe ok with just re-clear it, but that would not be much easier than just respray ti properly. Good think it is back and good thing it is only the bumper. Will look brand new after respray.

Comment

It likely needs a repaint but before you do that, you may as well try a cut & buff to see if it helps. So wetsand with 2000 grit to get the oxidation off, then compound, then polish. Just don't sand too far or you'll go past the clear!

Comment

I would try correcting the paint before a respray. A 3" pad would be great for that spot.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I've seen this alot of Non M cars. This seems normal.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I have had that problem before and cut and buff isn't going to work. I am afraid the only option is to get it repainted

Comment

Post some better pictures !

You could try to polish it out. something like meguiars ultimate compound followed by ultimate polish with appropriate pads. or sonax cut and finish. use a DA. that will not come out easily by hand.
              2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
              2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Working...
              X