Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opened engine to find my worst nightmare... advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opened engine to find my worst nightmare... advice needed.

Well guys here I am. The first truly f*cked engine on the new forum.

Earlier tonight I got my s54 head off to replace the head gasket... only to see a horrible sight. Im not sure how the hell this even happened but if I had to guess i'd say that a decent chunk of head gasket broke off and fell into the cylinder. Incredibly, the car ran like this but barely. The point of this post is to get some opinions on what the most logical decision here is. I am a college student so cost is unfortunately one of the biggest deciding factors.

At this point I think I would need a new set of pistons, and to rehone/ machine the cylinder. If thats even a thing. Believe it or not from the photos the scoring isn't super deep and my fingernail *barely* catches on it. My biggest concern is that there is a slight "chip" in the cylinder wall. I think this will be the thing that makes my engine toast. I have circled the chip in the photo. Also it looks like there is peppering all over the cylinder but in reality it's just a reflection.

There is corresponding damage on my head. Unbelievably, the valves came out without a scratch and it seems like they are all good. However, I dont know what im talking about to be honest and im just trying to go off of what little I know. I guess I just need to see if I can repair all damage on the head by only resurfacing less than .25mm right?

So heres my questions:

1) What in the hell do you think caused this damage?

2) Will re-honing my cylinder repair that "chip?" ( I think he answer is no but im not sure)

3) If I slightly bore out the cylinder to solve the chip damage will stock pistons + piston rings fit properly? (I guess it depends on how much I need bored out?)

4) Is the chip high enough in the cylinder by chance that it is above the piston rings and won't really affect things?

5) Is it even worth trying to salvage this block and having potential issues? Or should I just get a new block and pistons and call it a day?

6) If the valves and valves seats are okay my head is technically alright after being resurfaced right? Its not like the damaged bit is getting in contact with the pistons or anything.

Sorry if these are the dumbest questions...

I guess thats all for now. I'm sure I will have a million more questions later on once I narrow down my options. I really appreciate the advice and input...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SteelGreyM; 06-16-2020, 10:25 PM.

Whoa, that is a lot of pre-det pitting on that piston. Sorry to see this OP. Best solution might be to find another S54.
    Last edited by Slideways; 06-16-2020, 11:19 PM.

Comment

It's an iron block so you can always try but I'd go for another S54. Will be cheaper as well. Sorry to see OP.
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Consensus would agree on getting another S54. Or perhaps a very familiar and popular LS V8 swap...?

Comment

Would agree with the others here. You wouldn't want to bore out the cylinder (even slightly) and reuse the stock pistons + rings because that will cause blow by issues at a minimum. Debatable whether that cylinder head is reusable based on the damage.

Most cost effective option is probably getting a used bottom end, cylinder head and a shop crane from Harbor Freight to swap it yourself. Bare minimum you can probably get away for around $2-3k. Similar thing happened to my old 335i when I walnut blasted it and let debris fall into one of the cylinders.
          '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
          '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
          '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
          '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Here is a ramble for your consideration... That chip in the cylinder wall, if it is above the 2nd piston ring’s sealing point against the cylinder wall @ TDC, the oil control ring will be properly shielded against hot combustion gas, which is what you want. The top two rings seal the combustion gases. If the oil control ring isn’t damaged, that’s good. I’m guessing just replace the beat up piston with a good used one. Knock down the sharp high spots on the head where it’s beat up, install a new head gasket, bolt it back up, and this is quite possibly the most minimum & ultra cheap way to repair your engine. If it explodes after a year, at least you’ll have a year to save up for a good replacement engine. 😁

Comment

You can probably just bore to +.20 and re ring with +.20 oversize ring. Consult with a local machine shop cause they'll advise you best.

Comment

I don't see any evidence of detonation, if you have small pieces of aluminum on your plug center electrodes that would be a sign light detonation. If you had severe detonation your combustion chambers and piston would show pitting to actual holes through the pistons crowns. The larger danger is the forces applied to the rods and main bearings and to the crankcase. I also think that you'd have knock sensor codes.

Comment

Thank you guys for all your input. I’ve already got a crane and all that and I’m fully prepped to do an engine swap. I had a feeling that this was pre detonation pitting. The head gasket had been blown a while and around 2500rpm I would always hear a tiny rattle. I never imagined it was head gasket.

I will probably end up buying a new bottom end. Since it was pre detonating does that mean my crank + bearings are toast?

I found an s54 block with pistons. I was debating going for that. Would I need to get new piston rings or can I just re use those rings? Is there a way to check how well they seal?

About the head... I’ll take it to a machine shop and get their opinion on it.

for now I think that’s all right? Just pistons, block, and maybe crank?

Comment

Anyone have an answer to number 1?

OP, did you check compression, if it held compression you may be able to get away without touching the cylinder walls, or maybe have it resleeved?

Comment

Re hone and new rings will get you a better seal, not sure if you have go with different sized rings though.

Comment

Originally posted by Halftim3 View Post
                        Anyone have an answer to number 1?

OP, did you check compression, if it held compression you may be able to get away without touching the cylinder walls, or maybe have it resleeved?
                        Yea general consensus is pre ignition. Which I agree with because I heard it happening.

I never had it compression tested because I was 1000% certain the headgasket was blown and I was removing it anyway. Part of me wants to bolt everything back up and compression test with the new head gasket. The other (and probably right) side of me is saying to just bite the bullet and do this properly with a new block and pistons.

Originally posted by Halftim3 View Post
                        Re hone and new rings will get you a better seal, not sure if you have go with different sized rings though.
                        I may just hot tank and re-hone the new block that I get and re use the rings on the pistons I get if thats okay. I figure while the block is out i'll have it cleaned up nicely
                        Last edited by SteelGreyM; 06-17-2020, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Monkey View Post
                          Here is a ramble for your consideration... That chip in the cylinder wall, if it is above the 2nd piston ring’s sealing point against the cylinder wall @ TDC, the oil control ring will be properly shielded against hot combustion gas, which is what you want. The top two rings seal the combustion gases. If the oil control ring isn’t damaged, that’s good. I’m guessing just replace the beat up piston with a good used one. Knock down the sharp high spots on the head where it’s beat up, install a new head gasket, bolt it back up, and this is quite possibly the most minimum & ultra cheap way to repair your engine. If it explodes after a year, at least you’ll have a year to save up for a good replacement engine. 😁
                          Good advice. In addition, pull the engine apart for thorough inspection, take the block/head/pistons to a (quality) machine shop, have them inspect. Chip may be above the sealing area and just needs a hone. If it were me, I would not be rushing out to buy a new block, before you know exactly what you have, and it's really hard to determine with pictures. You may be able to rebuild what you have and come out with a better motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

Good advice. In addition, pull the engine apart for thorough inspection, take the block/head/pistons to a (quality) machine shop, have them inspect. Chip may be above the sealing area and just needs a hone. If it were me, I would not be rushing out to buy a new block, before you know exactly what you have, and it's really hard to determine with pictures. You may be able to rebuild what you have and come out with a better motor.
                            You guys are crazy lmao.

Im gonna pull the engine and go to a machine ship before buying a new block. I guess they will have the best advice as far as all this is concerned. If they are confident that this engine can be re-honed and still run perfectly, I will do it.

As far as pistons... I will only need to get two damaged ones because they are balanced right? Or do I need to get all 6? Damaged piston is #1 so I should get #1 and #6 right?
                            Last edited by SteelGreyM; 06-17-2020, 07:31 AM.

Comment

This might be a silly question but how would you guys recommend removing my block? The head and the engine lifting bracket is off the car...

I was thinking just pull the front end off and slide it out with the trans right? Since there is no support bracket up top should I like... tie ratchet traps around my engine and into the crane hook?

Comment

Working...
                              X