Exhaust Tip Placement w/ CSL Rear Bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Tip Placement w/ CSL Rear Bumper

Does anyone have a good overhead view of exhaust tips with a CSL rear bumper? I'm curious what the factory CSL placement looked like, as in were the tips slightly inset from the perimeter lip, or slightly protruding?

I bought the Burkhart Engineering billet tips (they aren't billet but nice nonetheless) that are meant for riveting onto the factory section 3. I'm running the SCZA section 3 that only come with comically large tips so the Burkhart tips will look more understated. I just don't have any reference points. Thanks.
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

For a muffler like scza, you adjust at the tip (set screws), but most mufflers' tips are fixed and about all you can do is "point" the tips the way you want in the way that you install the muffler. You can adjust at the 3 hangers, you can also get the muffler to point a bit up or down in how you connect the flanges at 2/3 joint. Even spacing will keep muffler straight, but more spacing on bottom of flange and less up top, will point the tips upwards a bit.

For side to side, if you're unhappy, you can actually loosen the crossbrace and the hangers for sect 2, and swing sect 2 side to side. You'll see the tips of the muffler move as well.

Or you can add washers as spacers between the muffler brace and hanger to push the muffler to whatever side you want more.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Scza tips are 82mm and 76mm iirc. Supersprint is 80mm and eisenmann (meisterschaft) is 83mm iirc. I really wouldn't call scza tips "comically large" - I'd use those adjectives for RDSport's 90mm tips. You prob have the bigger ones, not 76mm (3") standard scza tips.

Maybe SGT will swap for you?
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

From high res pictures I have seen, the inner CSL muffler tips are a few millimeters inside the top of the diffuser. Usually when the exhaust warms up, they will be flush or stick out a bit.
        Last edited by Slideways; 03-30-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          From high res pictures I have seen, the inner CSL muffler tips are a few millimeters inside the top of the diffuser. Usually when the exhaust warms up, they will be flush or stick out a bit.
          Brilliant, thanks, good enough for me.

Tbone - thanks for the suggestions/comments. I'm well past stock using vbands and such. The only single wall tips SG now sells are 80mm and bigger. I've already talked with them. Sure, choose your adjective but each tip is the size of soup can. Seriously? From a function aesthetic that's ridiculous for 3ish liters of displacement.
          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Working...
          X