Oil Pump Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pump Damage

I was doing rod bearings on my 04 today and I found some damage to the oil pump.

I've seen people discuss a nick from the chain on the pickup tube before. Some people say it is normal. The damage to mine is less than 1.5 mm deep.

The screen on the tube also appears to be separated along approximately a 1/4 of the diameter.

Is there any way to repair this, or is replacement necessary? Part of me says just throw it back in, but that might be a terrible idea.

Any thoughts?

That doesn't seem large enough to become a problem. Whatever gets passed that will probably get passed the rest of the mesh.

Comment

As long as there are no gaping holes in the mesh AND there's no blockage. Schmeg and old RTV floating around in the oil pan that gets on the screen...clean that stuff off.

Comment

PAST jfc

"schmeg" is that engine smegma?
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I freaked out when I saw this too. Both engines of mine had it. This is normal. It's the chain doing it. The theory is when the engine turns off, the chain scrapes or something. I think the tensioner is just insufficient from the factory. As long as it's not a hole, no problem there.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

same for me as well - i saw similar damage on my 04 when I did my bearings at 170k. I figure I'll just pony up for a replacement pump when I do the bearings again at 250k .

Comment

Same here. The hole in my mesh was slightly larger though. My Indy shop mentioned that they see it all the time with no issues. They just close the mesh up as well as they can by hand.

Comment

Working...
              X