Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil filter housing oil stat replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Oil filter housing oil stat replacement

    I've seen some aftermarket OFH replacement valves but they seem to get rid of the thermostat function in favour of flow.

    I presume they keep the check valve. The problem is if you run a more efficient oil cooler the oil may never get to temperature in street applications.

    Does anyone know of a replacement valve that preserves the oil stat function?

    #2
    There are many in-line oil thermostats available.

    One example:
    Adding an oil cooler to your track car can be one of the best mods you can do, but it is good to regulate the temperature to now allow overcooling of...

    Comment


      #3
      Does the OFH has a thermostat function where oil does not flow through the oil cooler when the engine is old until it reaches a certain temperature?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ac427 View Post
        Does the OFH has a thermostat function where oil does not flow through the oil cooler when the engine is old until it reaches a certain temperature?
        This is correct. Without a thermostat closing off flow to the oil cooler the oil would never reach operating temperature.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post

          This is correct. Without a thermostat closing off flow to the oil cooler the oil would never reach operating temperature.
          Thank you. I have seen it mentioned in the official BMW doc. I've never seen it mentioned on any forums.

          Great. I'll get a new check valve for the OFH.

          Comment


            #6
            I was not sure on the oil flow path of the OFH and found this video not too long ago explaining it and the difference between M54 and S54 OFH



            I don't know if you can buy the thermostat separately. I only see a delete kit.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Slideways View Post
              I was not sure on the oil flow path of the OFH and found this video not too long ago explaining it and the difference between M54 and S54 OFH



              I don't know if you can buy the thermostat separately. I only see a delete kit.
              Thank you for the video. Most of the video i had seen must have been for the E36 M4 of non M E46 OFH's.
              Last edited by ac427; 08-26-2026, 01:41 AM.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ac427 View Post
                Does the OFH has a thermostat function where oil does not flow through the oil cooler when the engine is old until it reaches a certain temperature?
                The thermostat is closed but there is still some flow through the oil cooler loop but not enough to drop the temps. If you drain the oil cooler loop and start the engine, the loop will fill with oil before the thermostat opens.

                It depends on your climate and oil. If you're using 10w-60 in 40 degree weather then it will take forever to warm up.

                This is the thermostat I use on my track car: https://ebay.io/m/MvpteT

                If you have an OFH with the bypass, probably can ask around and see if any track guys have the guts laying around. I think its just a spring.

                Comment


                  #9
                  The non-S54 OFH's just have a check valve rather than any thermostatic regulation.

                  This is the VAC bypass kit below with oilstat on the left

                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20260826-WA0000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	365062
                  Last edited by ac427; 08-26-2026, 07:20 AM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X