Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: How to Make an Illuminated ZHP Shift Knob

Hi all,

This is a simple DIY, but I thought I would write it out to benefit the community that has given me and my M3 lots of assistance. Unfortunately I did this a while ago so I am using the pics I took at the time, and parts I have left to explain the process.

The ZHP knob is a popular mod in our M3s, but the off the shelf ones from the dealer do not illuminate. The F10 M5 knob is basically an illuminated ZHP knob, but comes attached to a leather boot. Some people have tried to adapt the boot to fit out M3s by removing the F10 M5 boot ring, then gluing it to an E46 M3 boot ring, but this is a tedious process. I tried it myself, but my subpar gluing job led to the boot ring popping out constantly. I also preferred an Alcantara boot.

Parts Required

OEM F10 M5 Shift Knob - Part Number 25112284205
    OEM E46 Alcantara Shift Boot - Part Number 25117919219
    RTV of your choice
    Heat Shrink Tubing
    Solder

Click image for larger version  Name:	352504_x800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	3722

Tools Required

Sprue/Micro Flush Cutters. I really like the Xuron ones ($19.90 on Amazon), but HF sells some for $3.50 that work too.
    Soldiering Iron
    Needle Nose Pliers
    Trim Panel Tools
    Small Screwdriver
    Wire Stripper

Separating F10 M5 Knob and Boot

Begin by taking the F10 M5 knob/boot assembly, and flipping it over. There is a plastic collar holding the knob itself to the boot with 3 plastic tabs. Take a small flathead screwdriver and wedge it into the slot between the large tab in the front and the collar. The tab should release and there should be a small gap in the front between the knob and collar. You can use needle nose pliers for this too. If the tab breaks that is fine, it needs to be cut off later anyway.

Gently force the knob away from the collar by using a thin trim panel tool in the front between the knob and collar. Break off the last two remaining tabs by rocking the knob against the collar. Be gentle as there are two wires running through the two rear tabs. Give the wires some slack throughout this process. Never insert a pry tool in the rear where the wires are, as doing so can sever the wires.

Cut the wires at a location at least a few inches away from both the connector and the knob. Slide the ends of the wire through the collar. Knob and collar should now be separated.

Cut off the front tab and clean up the remnants of the broken tabs by using the micro flush cutters.

Strip the ends of the wires. Slide an appropriately sized heat shrink tube over both wires. Connect the ends of the wires, matching the colors - grey to grey, maroon to maroon. Twist them together, apply some solder, and slide heat shrink over joint with the soldering iron.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	3718
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190816_155707 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	3719
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190816_155730 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.2 KB ID:	3720

To Install Shift Knob

Installation is pretty self explanatory.

Place your M3 in 2nd gear. Remove stock boot ring by squeezing the sides in at the same time and lifting up. Remove shift knob with a combination of twisting/pulling straight up. Be careful not to hit yourself in the face.

Thread wire of new shift knob through the new Alcantara boot, hook up connector. Install boot, then place knob onto shift lever. Press knob into place. If knob is easily pulled up, then apply a dab of RTV on the tip of the shift lever, install knob and let sit overnight to cure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190816_140406.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.9 KB ID:	3724

Attached Files
    Last edited by Titaniu//M; 03-28-2020, 11:39 PM.
    '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
    '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
    '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
    '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

These days you can also buy the F10 M5 shift knob, which is very similar to the ZHP shift knob, but illuminated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	243.0 KB ID:	3758

That said, the illumination does look different than the stock M3 knob illumination.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
    X