which starter do I want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which starter do I want?

Rebuilt BMW or Bosch vs new Valeo? can't seem to find the cached old M3F thread on this
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

I'd recommend a new Valeo which I believe is what it came with from the factory. Anyways, I replaced my bad starter with a new Valeo 3+ years ago and as a daily driven car it has been working flawlessly.

Comment

I got a new valeo a few years ago no issues. On mt 3rd alternator though. 2 rebuilt bosches, shoukd have bought a new valeo too I think.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have a new Valeo unit if you're looking for one

Comment

Valeo is solid.
          Does anyone know if a "long start" could be attributed to a bad starter? My car has had a long start since I've owned it.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
          2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
            Valeo is solid.
            Does anyone know if a "long start" could be attributed to a bad starter? My car has had a long start since I've owned it.
            Have you taken a look at your battery terminals?

I've seen a few E46's with corroded battery terminals even though being covered in the back trunk, might be worth taking a look at.

Comment

Yeah, battery terminals do still get corroded in the trunk.

Comment

I put in a new Valeo about 2.5 years ago and it has been solid. No issues.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll go with the Valeo and thank goodness its cheap. Hopefully this will fix my intermittent starting issue on hot days.

Originally posted by natty99 View Post
                  I have a new Valeo unit if you're looking for one
                  Thanks but I'm gonna get a new one from FCPEuro to take advantage of their lifetime warranty.
                  2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                  2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                  2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

My local shop STRONGLY urged against anything other than OEM based on recent issues they've had with others prematurely failing. Obviously others here haven't had the same issues. I did the work myself, so there was no cash incentive for them to steer me that way. And after having dealt with those bolts on the starter, if the extra money means I never have to touch that thing again, then it was money well spent in my eyes!

Comment

When the alternator went out on the e46 325i I went with a bosch. It looked exactly like the OEM from what I remember. No problems here. But I think most say valeo

Comment

I've also read / been told first hand that cars that are used on track and/or driven aggressively often have a tendency to kill alternators due to the sustained high revs. I haven't yet, but I plan to do the underdrive pulley on mine to try and save the alternator. Obviously not a great option for street cars with stereos, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Halftim3 View Post
                          Yeah, battery terminals do still get corroded in the trunk.
                          Corrosion on the positive terminal is a sign of overcharging. Excessive corrosion can also cause cracking of the battery case itself. A visual check of the battery is in order, as is a testing of your charging system.

Comment

I replaced mine with a Bosch about 2 years ago. I've noticed that the starter has a tenancy to stay engaged for about 2-3 seconds after the engine turns over. Not sure if its a solenoid issue or what. No issues otherwise, just thought it was peculiar.
                            2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Bosche rebuilt products are pretty much garbage. I've replaced my rebuilt Bosche alternator twice in 3 years. Not a big deal since it's easy to replace. Starter however, I would make sure it's a one and done replacement.

Comment

Working...
                              X