Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turner Monoball FCAB FAULTY? (creaking and knocking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to go back to OEM rubber. I may look into these again, once more data comes in for recent units. Not worth it at the moment unless you have the time to tinker around and redo the job multiple times. It's been a frustrating month trying to diagnose & resolve this issue, and end up going back to OEM.
    2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
    2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by clawhamm3r View Post
      I'm running Whiteline FCABs. I think they're a sleeper in this category. Feels tighter when pushing and rides like OE rubber, but hopefully will last longer. No noise either. I've had polys that got clunky over time, even after regreasing them. And they come with the lollipops!
      Just ordered a set of whiteline FCABs. Pricing for them locally was comparable to OEM Lemforders, so hopefully I'll like them

Comment

Originally posted by DanAvoN7 View Post
        I've installed 5 sets (very small sample size as I always recommend OEM Lemforder when replacing FCAB's as the majority of cars I work on are street cars) and noticed the same creaking/knocking sound on 3 of the sets. Two of those customer cars we switched to OEM Lemforder and the sound completely went away and the other car the sound didn't bother him as it was a dedicated track car so he left the Turner FCAB's installed. All were pressed in to Genuine OE BMW housings, there was no binding once the bushing was pressed in to the housing, they were greased using Redline CV-2 (contains moly), etc. All of the cars did have original front control arms. I did notice that there is a tolerance issue as some bushings slid on to the control arms with little to no resistance where others required force/pressing of the bushing for it to fit on the control arm. This tolerance issue (and possibly some wear over time on the bushing mounting area) is on the control arm itself. The Lemforder bushing is rubber and does not require a precision machined control arm for it to fit properly. I am not a fan of these and do not recommend them to my customers as the tolerances between the Turner monoball FCAB bushing and front control arm vary too much.
        Resurrecting an old thread.

Just installed another set of these on the track car. They are making the creaking noises. Ultimately its a track car and dgaf about the noise. But anybody see any reason for me to worry about functionality with the noise being there? Or just send it haha.
        Thanks
        2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
        2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
        2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

I would say one thing is added NVH, and other creak and squeak, which may indicate something is not right? may that be premature wear?

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

Just installed another set of these on the track car. They are making the creaking noises. Ultimately its a track car and dgaf about the noise. But anybody see any reason for me to worry about functionality with the noise being there? Or just send it haha.
            Thanks
            Maybe greasing them might help remove the creaking noise. They should already be greased when new.

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

Thanks
              I've been running these for 50k+miles. No issues currently.

The noise went away for me after a while. Maybe a few hundred miles if that.

Comment

Originally posted by L0okitzRaj View Post

I've been running these for 50k+miles. No issues currently.

The noise went away for me after a while. Maybe a few hundred miles if that.
                Ok perfect. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear haha. I will be ride them out and see how it goes. Thanks
                2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Curious to hear how it goes! I really enjoyed the way turn-ins felt with these on, but couldn't stand for that creaking noise. May be open to it again if it goes away after driving a few hundred miles.
                  2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
                  2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by mcfreid View Post
                    Curious to hear how it goes! I really enjoyed the way turn-ins felt with these on, but couldn't stand for that creaking noise. May be open to it again if it goes away after driving a few hundred miles.
                    They are fantastic, the feedback you get (assuming everything else is tight) is really great. I dailyed the car for those 50k + miles.

And as far as creaking... Yeah I originally had an issue with that. But we triple checked everything, even uninstall/reinstalled... Then I just decided to run them. After about 100 miles of dr8ving they got quieter.

I don't grease them as much as I should and still no play. I have a mix of mainly daily, then canyons, then track. And I think I have closer to 70k on them, but I'll just say 50k to be safe(don't wanna go through my notes)

Comment

FWIW the Turner FCABs creaked for the first ~100 miles or so on my E36. They stopped around the time I flushed out the grease I used when I installed with Redline CV-2 but that is probably coincidental.

Comment

I had the same issues. I sold the monoball FCABs and now will try the sleeved delrin 95A:

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC5682.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	225377

Comment

You don't need a monoball in the FCAB location, it's a single axis rotation bushing. Poly or delrin is best here, keeps it simple, but minding the heat shielding from the headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have these…they might have creaked but I have.m no way of knowing. My car has no interior with the BW race exhaust. I can only talk to someone at idle, otherwise it’s just the awful S54 shriek. I do remember the monoball being tighter than expected and being hesitant about installing them. I greased them and moved the monoball around which loosened it up quite a bit.

You do have to be really careful not to explode the green ring off by overfilling with grease. Just a little at a time.

These don’t look all that tough. The monoball feels like it’s delrin. Surely not metal.

Comment

Working...
                            X