Ceramic Coated Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic Coated Headers

Putting a set of catless headers in. Do I need to ceramic coat or wrap the headers? Will it make any difference as far as heat/longevity?

Wrapping isn't really going to do much here. Ceramic coating will stop corrosion long term but neither are needed. Almost no one does either. There are two heat shields covering engine bay from headers. Save yourself the headache. When you do put them on, I suggest pulling that from metal coolant pipe off. It's only two bolts and you will be able to get to cylinder #1 much better. You have to drain expansion tank so this is a perfect time for a coolant flush also.
    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Don’t wrap.

Coating... eh. I did it (swaintech), because any reduction in under hood temps is good for the longevity of everything... and maybe some tiny power perk... but in no way would I say it’s necessary. Small upside, I don’t know of any downside, so I did it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        Don’t wrap.

Coating... eh. I did it (swaintech), because any reduction in under hood temps is good for the longevity of everything... and maybe some tiny power perk... but in no way would I say it’s necessary. Small upside, I don’t know of any downside, so I did it.
        The time and money required to do it on top of buying the headers. Spray can stuff is basically useless. How much was it to get it professionally done?

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post

The time and money required to do it on top of buying the headers. Spray can stuff is basically useless. How much was it to get it professionally done?
          ~$200 IIRC. I meant no downside to functionality or longevity.

^what I got.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Jet-Hot Extreme 1300 coating was $355 to coat CPI headers and Swain Tech White Lightning was $352 to coat SS V1's. All prices inclusive of shipping to VA and are as 2019/2020
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

^probably more accurate— I did it long ago.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The jet hot is to make things look pretty and last. If you also want a real thermal benefit the swain tech white lightning is the go

Comment

The Jet-Hot was more effective as thermal barrier than competitors or outsiders would have you believe. Of course, Swain Tech is also effective.
                  '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                    The Jet-Hot was more effective as thermal barrier than competitors or outsiders would have you believe. Of course, Swain Tech is also effective.
                    How was that verified ? Most are thin coatings they can only be so effective as they lack the additional insulation capabilities of a thicker plasma sprayed zirconia based systems
                    Last edited by digger; 07-03-2020, 01:44 PM.

Comment

$350?! NOT worth it in my opinion. These things are already super corrosion resistant. You probably will only develop rust on the bolts and brackets anyways. Soak the bolts in some lemon juice concentration every few years if it matters. Or go get some Rustoleum header paint. Couple spray paint for corrosion and then wrap to really insulate. Get the best insulation along with some corrosion resistance for much much less money.

Comment

I lightning coated my SSV1s. Similar to Ian, it's not needed. I think I was just with the SSV1 head/catted sec 1 bill and I was like F it... my life is about to end financially anyway, might as was do it and give collections a slightly bigger number to call about. Lmfaoooo

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                          $350?! NOT worth it in my opinion. These things are already super corrosion resistant. You probably will only develop rust on the bolts and brackets anyways. Soak the bolts in some lemon juice concentration every few years if it matters. Or go get some Rustoleum header paint. Couple spray paint for corrosion and then wrap to really insulate. Get the best insulation along with some corrosion resistance for much much less money.
                          As a long term owner, header wrap was a non starter for me. Over time it does cause corrosion-- not just with the hardware, but with the headers themselves. In 10/20/30 years, I don't want to have to be replacing my headers because I wrapped them. Similarly, over time header wrap loosens (as the headers expand/shrink/expand/shrink with heat), so you have to redo it-- not an issue if you only have the car for a couple of years and move one, but not something I want to be doing routinely.

For $350 I get additional corrosion protection on the headers and greater longevity for all my under hood (plastic) components, without any tradeoff in exchange. For the price of a tire, that seems worth it to me. Any power increase that exists is just a perk.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

As a long term owner, header wrap was a non starter for me. Over time it does cause corrosion-- not just with the hardware, but with the headers themselves. In 10/20/30 years, I don't want to have to be replacing my headers because I wrapped them. Similarly, over time header wrap loosens (as the headers expand/shrink/expand/shrink with heat), so you have to redo it-- not an issue if you only have the car for a couple of years and move one, but not something I want to be doing routinely.

For $350 I get additional corrosion protection on the headers and greater longevity for all my under hood (plastic) components, without any tradeoff in exchange. For the price of a tire, that seems worth it to me. Any power increase that exists is just a perk.
                            Agreed, header wrap was like a wet blanket for corrosion. Had that on a few track bikes. It accelled the rust when compared to non wrapped bikes. This was i. The early 90s so be kind. Everything is Tittyanium now.

Comment

a new solution is called Cerakote. I had them done on my headers
                              2005 IR M3 Slick Top 6speed. Mods - too much to list!
                              18 R8 RWS.
                              19 Vantage
                              15 YMB F80 M3 DCT - gone
                              Other cars too boring to list.

Comment

Working...
                              X