Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Rebuild Start Procedure

Rebuild Gurus,

What is the proper procedure for a first start following a rebuild? From my understanding, the goal is to build up oil pressure before turning the engine over. I turned over the key a few times with spark plugs out and didn't hear any priming of any sort, likely because the oil pump is mechanically driven. I just want to be sure before I seize any bearings and undo 3 months of work

Just some details, spark plugs out, all harnesses connected, O2 sensors not connect, no coolant, no belts, etc.

This might be helpful at 6min -

It looks like remove spark plugs, pull fuel pump fuse and cycle multiple times till oil pressure light goes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      This might be helpful at 6min -

It looks like remove spark plugs, pull fuel pump fuse and cycle multiple times till oil pressure light goes out.
      That's what I did. I cycled twice, about 10 - 15 sec each. I don't think you need more than that and anything less won't build pressure I would think. So far so good.
      I don't know if the oil pressure light went out though. Seems the starter wouldn't turn fast enough for that but either way, you are just trying to pump oil into the lines, not necessarily get oil pressure to spec.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

That's what I did. I cycled twice, about 10 - 15 sec each. I don't think you need more than that and anything less won't build pressure I would think. So far so good.
        I don't know if the oil pressure light went out though. Seems the starter wouldn't turn fast enough for that but either way, you are just trying to pump oil into the lines, not necessarily get oil pressure to spec.
        The guys at Redish are the experienced BMW techs, not me. I'd rather have good oil pressure before startup. That way, the oil pump is primed and oil filter is saturated.

Comment

You can also pour oil into the oil cooler as that will be empty if you removed it. The thing holds about a liter right there.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Look into pre oiling. Moroso makes one. Also called an accusump but it will solve the first start oil starvation. You plug it into the oil light sensor. Thats what im im gonna do....yeah, 3 mos of work....!or more!

Comment

Working...
            X