Understeer vs Oversteer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understeer vs Oversteer

I am about to get another alignment, and with no track days in my future for probably the rest of the year, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were for spirited street driving. Basically, I was wondering if people are aligned more towards understeer or oversteer. My previous alignments were slightly more oversteer (-2F/-1.8R) but I was thinking of getting the CSL alignment specs and its geared more towards understeer and I was just wondering peoples thoughts.
    2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

I would run stock or CSL values for road only use.
    Having said that, I run my E36 M3 Street only at 1.8 neg front, 0.25 neg rear.
    I don't seek out canyon style experiences, but I do enjoy aggressive turn in behavior.
    0.25 neg make the car sniff out the apex in short corners but is not grippy enough for sustained cornering.
    I run factory settings on the E46 M3.
    Edit; Both cars are on stock springs, bilstein dampers.

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
      I would run stock or CSL values for road only use.
      Having said that, I run my E36 M3 Street only at 1.8 neg front, 0.25 neg rear.
      I don't seek out canyon style experiences, but I do enjoy aggressive turn in behavior.
      0.25 neg make the car sniff out the apex in short corners but is not grippy enough for sustained cornering.
      I run factory settings on the E46 M3.
      Edit; Both cars are on stock springs, bilstein dampers.
      My only concern with running CSL specs is that there is such a wide range of values for everything. Toe could either be toe in or toe out and camber ranges from almost -2 to -0.25. I am paraphrasing those values, but it is still a large enough difference that it could change the behavior of the car drastically. Anyone else running CSL specs? What values did you choose?
      2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

Comment

I wouldn't use camber to tune oversteer/understeer.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          I wouldn't use camber to tune oversteer/understeer.
          It wasn't going to be my only deciding factor, but with the car coming from the factory already prone to understeer, and since I am not going to be running toe-out on the street plus stock sways, front camber more than rear camber is one way to make the car more neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert's_BMW View Post

It wasn't going to be my only deciding factor, but with the car coming from the factory already prone to understeer, and since I am not going to be running toe-out on the street plus stock sways, front camber more than rear camber is one way to make the car more neutral.
            Why not go after it properly, with spring rates and sways, instead of compromising tire wear/grip/dynamics?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Why not go after it properly, with spring rates and sways, instead of compromising tire wear/grip?
              I am already running TCK DA 400/500 on the soft street rebound/compression with stock sways. When track season rolls around and I can actually go, I will be changing up the spring rates and maybe stiffer sways, but its only the street for the foreseeable future, so I am just wondering if the CSL settings are a little too much for the street and spirited driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert's_BMW View Post

I am already running TCK DA 400/500 on the soft street rebound/compression with stock sways. When track season rolls around and I can actually go, I will be changing up the spring rates and maybe stiffer sways, but its only the street for the foreseeable future, so I am just wondering if the CSL settings are a little too much for the street and spirited driving.
                Were it me, I'd go to a stiffer rear sway (which one depending on what thickness will make your car with your spring rates and corner weights neutral, as calculated with the FCM spreadsheet) and leave the front sway stock.... or stiffer rear springs, or softer front springs. The underlying issue here is that you've made the front spring rates a LOT (~3x) stiffer (decreasing grip) but haven't changed the rear spring rates nearly as much (keeping grip close to stock), without changing your sways to balance it... which is a surefire recipe for understeer. It's probably not as bad as the above sounds because of the extra weight on the nose from the supercharger, but I'd go after the root cause of the problem instead of trying to bandaid it...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                X