Oil Cooler Relocation/Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler Relocation/Upgrade?

Wondering if anyone has tried to move the oil cooler from the stock location, and if so where? My car is turbo'd, which heats up the oil of course, but the intercooler also sits directly in front of the oil cooler. I am worried any of the bolt on oil cooler upgrades would still have issues not getting the airflow it is supposed to. I was toying around with the idea of just getting some universal oil cooler and rerouting it was AN lines. Maybe an electric fan on it if necessary. However, I cannot think of anywhere else it could sit.

You could put a universal cooler up above the intercooler which would partially block the radiator. Basically, frontal cooling area is limited and you're going to have to pick favorites. Have you seen increased oil temps since blocking the cooler with an intercooler? Personally I'd choose putting a more efficient oil cooler in front of part of the radiator over having it completely covered by the intercooler.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

If I moved it up in front of the radiator I would have to take the electric fan out. Which, in combination with a radiator upgrade and swapping the mechanical fan to electric on the other side, is the best option I see currently. Oil temps do rise quickly when the car is in boost, but I am not sure which is the bigger factor between the heat from boost or the oil cooler being blocked.

Comment

Working...
      X