CSL Wheels Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Wheels Tires

I recently bought original CSL wheels (8.5x19; 9.5x19) an looking for tire recommendations and sizes/ I was thinkin 245/35 front and 275/30 rear. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Continental
    Michelin
    Toyo
    Yokohama

Are you aware of the corresponding tire size for those wheels? As far as brands, spend the extra $ and get Michelin mp4s.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Csl tire sizes... 235/35 265/30

Comment

yes I am aware Tbonem3, but i though could go w/ a more aggressive look. Should I go w/ 235/35 265/30 and spacers?

Comment

Looks are subjective tho. Some would say a meatier tire would be more aggressive. Others would say a slightly stretched tire looks better and is better for fitting more aggressive wheels. See where I'm going with this?

On a forum like this, it's better to ask for technical info. Subjective things like the difference in looks between 265/30/19 & 275/30/19 is impossible to get "right" (if you can even tell a diff between 265/275) In contrast, it's empirical that a 265 give you a slight mechanical advantage to 275.

If it's for looks, do what you want. If it's for any other reason, look at BMW choosing 235/265 and trust them on it imo.

Comment

I have been back and forth trying to decide this too. The only tire brand I buy for cars is Michelin so I will get Pilot Sport 4S's. I am deciding between 235/265 and 245/275's. Pilot Sports tend to be chunkier tires so I am leaning toward 235/265 and also since that is the factory spec. I think my final decision will come down to when I finally receive the tires and Costco is having their Michelin deal if they have 235/265 in stock. Been checking the last few weeks and first 265 was out, and right now 235s are out.

As for spacers, my plan is to mount them, take some measurements and decide what size if any will work.
            2002 M3 LSB/Kiwi Vert
            2014 X5 50i
            2019 Ford Raptor

Comment

I like how 235/265 feel on 8.5” and 9.5” wheels. You’ll have more sidewalk flex with less stretch on 245/275. It would feel slightly less direct. Remember this is what your tires are doing when you turn:

Comment

Desired ride has much to do with it too. In general, I trust what BMW M and MB AMG decided. But on my S55, I did what you are now considering — one size meatier on those same rim sizes. I also went Conti DWS 06. But I was specifically going for a more comfortable, planted ride. Stock sizes are more nimble, IMO — “direct” is how someone here put it. So it depends upon your goals for the car. Deviations from stock need a purpose that fits the result.

It’s now time for M3 tires and I’ll probably do the same thing. The tires will be bigger and heavier and will drive like it, but that’s likely OK for me on this car. If I wanted a 911 Turbo I would have bought one.

Nice video above, which reminds me of one final point — if you do go meatier, you’ll need to play around with tire pressure to get the desired ride. Bigger tires with the same pressure will feel bouncy, and underinflating them too much will give you more of that tire slip while turning. So if you’re after the safest most aggressive driving you can do, stick with stock, no questions ask, full stop.

maw
                Last edited by maw1124; 07-09-2020, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M3Giovan View Post
                  I recently bought original CSL wheels (8.5x19; 9.5x19) an looking for tire recommendations and sizes/ I was thinkin 245/35 front and 275/30 rear. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Continental
                  Michelin
                  Toyo
                  Yokohama

did you just get these in the mail from the group buy leighton did on m3forum?

Comment

thanks everyone for inputs, def great info. M3Ollie yes, I got them in the group buy but still hasn't arrive.

Comment

Continental
                      Michelin
                      Toyo
                      Yokohama

The Michelin PS4S is hard to beat for a Summer tire. Pretty quiet, very good dry grip and outstanding grip in the rain. 275/30-19 and 245/35-19 are a good diameter match that will fit nicely on those wheels. Or go with stock like shown in other replies.

Comment

That's usually a popular set-up.
                        To get an idea and compare here is what my 285/30/19s in rear looked like.
                        I'm now running 275/30/19
                        6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Continental ExtremeContact Sport are great tires too, direct competitors to the Pilot Sport 4S without the apparent PS4S price premium. I'd bet you wouldn't be able to tell them apart in real world usage.
                          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                            Continental ExtremeContact Sport are great tires too, direct competitors to the Pilot Sport 4S without the apparent PS4S price premium. I'd bet you wouldn't be able to tell them apart in real world usage.
                            I have them, great for the street but they have such a soft sidewall, I find I'm running 38+ psi at autox to stop them from rolling over. And they aren't so durable on the track, mine fell apart but my friend's PS4S wore way better (and he way overdrove those tires).

If OP isn't doing any driving events on them, they're an excellent alternative to PS4S for significantly cheaper. But I wouldn't recommend them for even autox

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                              😒 breh

Comment

Working...
                              X