• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stack View Post
    RE71r
    all day everyday
    until they wear out going for R888R next
    How loud are they? I'm going to be autoxing and mtn runs so it seems like these might be the best choice

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tones View Post
      How loud are they? I'm going to be autoxing and mtn runs so it seems like these might be the best choice

For autoX absolutely
      They aren’t super super loud
      But you can hear the tire scrub on change of pavement... doesn’t bother me it’s music to my ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post

For autoX absolutely
        They aren’t super super loud
        But you can hear the tire scrub on change of pavement... doesn’t bother me it’s music to my ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Good to here. The ps2 I have on my car are louder than. My m/t on my truck. So any thing less than that is great.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
          RS4s last so long you get bored and want to try something else, but can't justify tossing good tires.
          Nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
            RS4s last so long you get bored and want to try something else, but can't justify tossing good tires.
            Originally posted by ethan View Post

Nailed it.
            In what sense are they boring?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Indy 500 fire hawks for the street. They have more straight line grip than the MPSS they replaced and in my experience a wider operating temperature range. They were only 160 a tire back when I got them and impossible to pass up. They are noisy when they break loose, lots of squealing. The bad news is they won't hold >700 whp but they do grip well at 450 whp. At the track I use M/T et street r
              IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                In what sense are they boring?

We're just joking by complaining that they last too long: they're awesome tires which are more durable than others in the 200TW class without sacrificing much in terms of performance. IIRC in tests, the RE71Rs are slightly faster and noticably better in the wet, but survive half as long.
                Last edited by ethan; 08-19-2020, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	49kn00.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	46034
                  Attached Files

Comment

Since there is not much daily-ing going on these days as folks are wfh for at least another 6 months, I'm going to try Federal 595 RS-Pro as my "dual" duty tire (which now is mostly canyons and track), PS4S have been heat cycled out. Might try RS4 after RS-Pro to compare back to back, but it'll be next year at earliest I think. Friend recommended RS-Pro and they are "relatively" cheap, so will try them out.

They run wide, measurements on Federal's site seem very off based on what everyone is saying, so I am waiting for 255 to get to my door (was running 265 PS4S).

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Since there is not much daily-ing going on these days as folks are wfh for at least another 6 months, I'm going to try Federal 595 RS-Pro as my "dual" duty tire (which now is mostly canyons and track), PS4S have been heat cycled out. Might try RS4 after RS-Pro to compare back to back, but it'll be next year at earliest I think. Friend recommended RS-Pro and they are "relatively" cheap, so will try them out.

They run wide, measurements on Federal's site seem very off based on what everyone is saying, so I am waiting for 255 to get to my door (was running 265 PS4S).

I'm super curious to hear your feedback on these. I learned about RS-Pro after I had already committed to RS-RR's which I'm sure you know are quite annoyingly "buzzy"

Comment

I'll provide some "boring" reference points. Since mine is a 'vert and won't see any track driving (wish I had a coupe for that reason), and a daily driver, I want a balance on everything...Treadwear, dry and wet handling.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric - really high wear rating tire that was likely brand new (looked it anyway) on the car when I bought it at 30k miles. Not a tire I would have chosen if I were shopping myself, but turned out to be a really good one. Rears still had 50-60% tread after 20k miles when my RTABs wore down, and that took one tire down to the markers in just 4-5k miles after that. Replaced RTABs and rears; fronts lasted 40-45k miles before a nail took one out and I replaced all four (with A/S3). Great dry performance, predictable breakaway, and just enough squeal on 9/10ths+ cornering so you knew where what you had to work with. Wet performance was good enough. Never was the source of a scare in rains light or heavy.

Michelin A/S3 (might be A/S3+...would need to double check) - comparing to the Goodyear... not as much dry drip. That was evident the first couple days I had them as the rear end broke away more easily accelerating out of corners. Probably a little softer sidewall as I can feel the rollover a little more. Even more predictable breakaway in hard cornering over the Goodyear, and quiet about it, but less overall grip. Wet grip is very good...everything the A/S3 is supposed to deliver there is true. Treadwear rating is even a little higher than the Goodyears, and so far the wear looks like they will be good for 40k+ miles on the rear, and at least that much on the front. I'm amazed both this tire and the Goodyear's are actually lasting that long on the rear since my experience with several BMWs is that staggered rears just don't get more than 25k miles no matter what the treadwear rating, and I'm getting this on an M3.

I avoid PS4 because of low treadwear. For most of the past 5 years it's my daily driver, commuting 12k+ miles/year. Using up 90%+ of my tires on commuting feels like a waste buying tires that will only get used for their performance a few seconds on most days.

Comment

Curious to know if there is room in the front to go up to 265 without rubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by j0nwall View Post

I'm super curious to hear your feedback on these. I learned about RS-Pro after I had already committed to RS-RR's which I'm sure you know are quite annoyingly "buzzy"
                            I won't be able to do a comparison to RS-RR, since I havent run them, so will have to go with the mass info available on the interwebs, but folks say that Pro take heat better, don't delaminate/center seam doesnt come apart, are quieter, do better in the wet. "Better" is subjective of course.

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by jk715 View Post
                              Curious to know if there is room in the front to go up to 265 without rubbing.

For Federals? Their 265 might be more like a normal 275 or 285 in terms of section and thread width. It will also depend on your wheel width/offset/spacer, ride height, etc. My friend who recommended the tires runs 275 RS-Pro but he has had issues rubbing in the rear on 18x9.5 arc 8 with et35, don't know what spacer he runs.

Primary reason I went with 265 on PS4S and 255 on Federals is because Ohlins have a thicker strut so with 18x9.5 et35, with spring length/rate/preload/ride height I run, rubbing will happen on the inside on the strut (vs outside on the fender), and I don't want to run wheel spacers or a tonne of camber. Now that I installed the Ohlins knuckle spacer I can maybe play around a bit more and re-measure clearances, but I'm not there yet.

So long answer to your question, but yes, they can fit.

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

PSS, PSC2, PS4S
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X