Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simultaneous Installation of Coilovers and Swaybars--General Questions

Hey Guys,
    As the title says, I finally had the time to conquer a job I had been looking forward to yesterday. As is, the front coilovers have been installed (along with rear spring and shock setup) and I had some questions to run by smarter people. As of now, I have removed the front stock swaybar prior to installation of the coilovers. I'm trying not to screw anything up so my questions are;

1. The stock swaybar was removed prior to the installation of the coilovers. I have no "point of reference" for the intended final angle of the ends of the front swaybar. From the pictures I have located on the internet, it appears that the stock bar sits about 2 inches from the top of the front control arms. Would this be fine for the new bar or is there an angle that needs to be met for integrity/performance?

2. As to the endlinks, I currently have adjustable endlinks that I purchased as part of my "upgrades." The question becomes, do I install an endlink (Turner says only install one on the vehicle prior to putting weight on the front of the vehicle) or do I install both, or do I install neither. Do I need to let the vehicle rest on the full weight, then install one end link to avoid damage, or can I install one at a time? If one is installed at a time, there will obviously be no pre-load on the first one as the sway bar can rotate freely in the bushings. Should I shoot for the stock distance above the front control arm and set it there? I know I may be over complicating things but I am trying to do this right.

Any help or input is appreciated! Thank You.
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

With the car's weight on it's wheels/tires, you want zero preload-- so the end link inserts with no angle.

Order of events should be...
    Install suspension
    dial in ride height based on whatever criteria you use
    Corner balance
    align
    Corner balance again, because the alignment screwed it up (but you do need to do it before alignment to have it be close)
    attach sway bar end links with zero/near zero preload

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

That makes perfect sense. I assume it’s okay to drive a couple of miles without the front sway?
      [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
        That makes perfect sense. I assume it’s okay to drive a couple of miles without the front sway?
        Yeah, just don't do anything dynamic or it might be funky.

When you're installing the coilovers, you can install the sways and just skip one end link per bar. Doing that won't interfere with the corner balance and will make your life easier later.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Yeah, just don't do anything dynamic or it might be funky.

When you're installing the coilovers, you can install the sways and just skip one end link per bar. Doing that won't interfere with the corner balance and will make your life easier later.
          That's a good call. It would also kill me to pay an exorbitant fee to install the sways when the front takes tops 10 minutes (less with a lift) and the rear takes about 15 minutes. Corner balancing, alignment, and two end links....Now I just bought some rear camber arms about two minutes ago and have heard that they are a huge pain to install. Sounds like I might have to throw those on too. There is something about this car that just makes you pour money into it, I guess that's why I keep doing it!

Comment

Working...
          X