Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which companies may be able to create an aluminum front spindle for E46 M3s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which companies may be able to create an aluminum front spindle for E46 M3s?

Trying to reach out to various companies to see if anyone is willing to take on a new product development.

Which companies does the community think can take on and produce an aluminum front spindle for the E46 M3? Goal would be bump steer/roll center correction and lighter weight but also working with to a stock control arm/tie rod. A E9x bolt-on hub can possibly be used.
    Last edited by pawa_k2001; 07-20-2020, 06:42 AM.

Anyone with a 5 axis CNC.

The real question is how many people would buy them-- I suspect not many, given what that sort of thing normally goes for: https://www.bbiautosport.com/product...illet-uprights

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I doubt they will sell very well because both Porsche and Corvette drop spindles are $3k. If someone can sell these for around $2k, I have a few people that want them since bumpsteer/roll center correction usually costs $1200-$1500 for an E46 M3. I am willing to pay another $500-$700 on top just to save weight up front.

Comment

What are people willing to pay for aluminum spindles and what are they expecting?

- Price?
        - Weight savings?
        - Correction for which ride height?

Comment

Conrad Timms of New Zealand rebuilt a E30 M3 DTM car and turned the restoration into a company. His company replicated the magnesium DTM front strut housings, he might be a good source to use.

https://themotorhood.com/themotorhoo...st-dtm-bmw-e30

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
            What are people willing to pay for aluminum spindles and what are they expecting?

- Price?
            - Weight savings?
            - Correction for which ride height?
            Looking at e9X M3, it's around half the weight-- 4.2 kg for e46, 2.4 for e9X (alu).

Might be worth looking at Z4M-- splits the difference (ish) in weight at 3.7 kg, cheap, I should allow you to run longer travel monotube dampers. Also works with e46 brake and tie rods. Idk what effect it would have on bump steer, if any. Would require you to run Z4M or e36 M3 front shocks.

Because the Z4M is lower, stock, it's possible it may also improve bump steer/roll center. Or, maybe not!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
              Conrad Timms of New Zealand rebuilt a E30 M3 DTM car and turned the restoration into a company. His company replicated the magnesium DTM front strut housings, he might be a good source to use.

https://themotorhood.com/themotorhoo...st-dtm-bmw-e30
              Thanks. Sent them an email.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Looking at e9X M3, it's around half the weight-- 4.2 kg for e46, 2.4 for e9X (alu).

Might be worth looking at Z4M-- splits the difference (ish) in weight at 3.7 kg, cheap, I should allow you to run longer travel monotube dampers. Also works with e46 brake and tie rods. Idk what effect it would have on bump steer, if any. Would require you to run Z4M or e36 M3 front shocks.

Because the Z4M is lower, stock, it's possible it may also improve bump steer/roll center. Or, maybe not!
              Redoing the front suspension would be costly but I did reach out to Phil Morrison(guy who is building a V10 E46 M3), his M3 is running Z4M front spindles. Per the pictures that I found, I can't see much, if an difference in pickup points for tie rod and control arm(distance from center of the bore to pickup points)

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post

Thanks. Sent them an email.

Redoing the front suspension would be costly but I did reach out to Phil Morrison(guy who is building a V10 E46 M3), his M3 is running Z4M front spindles. Per the pictures that I found, I can't see much, if an difference in pickup points for tie rod and control arm(distance from center of the bore to pickup points)
                Conrad's website was M3motorsport.co.nz but it doesnt' seem to be active, not sure if he's still making parts or not. His DTM replica wheels were a thing of absolute beauty. His facebook is a bit inactive too https://www.facebook.com/M3-Motorsport-490970167693028/

I've been watching Phil's rebuild (Jay is a legend) and it seems like they are running the Z4 front struts because they had the parts laying around, not because they are better. When he originally built the v10 car, to fit the steering rack he had to move a lot of stuff around, in doing so, he had to modify the M3 spindles quite heavily. Part of his goals for v2.0 of the car wast to fix the geometry.

I wonder why BMW ran a E36 style front spindle on the Z4M.

Comment

Working...
                X