Pic Request: Painted CF CSL Bootlids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pic Request: Painted CF CSL Bootlids

Getting a CF CSL bootlid painted/installed soon and curious to see folks that have theirs painted - especially ones that have left some CF exposed. My car is steel gray and would love to do a "faded" look where the lid for the most part is painted but some CF is exposed as you get closer to the "spoiler" area. Thanks.

Another steel grey here. Once you do get this done send me some photos

Comment

Did this effect on my 04 Jet black m3.

Nice and discrete.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post
        Another steel grey here. Once you do get this done send me some photos
        Sure thing 👍

Comment

Originally posted by andrebxp View Post
          Did this effect on my 04 Jet black m3.

Nice and discrete.
          Looks great! Is it just the tip of the spoiler that's pictured left exposed?

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerbimmer View Post

Looks great! Is it just the tip of the spoiler that's pictured left exposed?
            Yep its faded in, Its hard to capture the effect with a photo but when the sun hits it you can see the carbon under it. Here's a crappy phone pic:
            Attached Files

Comment

This pic is by far my favorite. I had a brand new 1x1 VCSL several years ago that i planned to paint like this but in the end i decided to go with OEM CSL trunk for the best possible fit and finish.

IMO you want to go with 1x1 weave because the exposed 2x2 weave just looks too big and ugly... I also love the fade/transition on this trunk.... with all that said, given how cheap the OEM trunk is, I would go with OE CSL. the CF trunks are a PITA to prep and they will never be as smooth as pressed sheet metal. the top will look wavy as hell once its painted.
              2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
              2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                This pic is by far my favorite. I had a brand new 1x1 VCSL several years ago that i planned to paint like this but in the end i decided to go with OEM CSL trunk for the best possible fit and finish.

IMO you want to go with 1x1 weave because the exposed 2x2 weave just looks too big and ugly... I also love the fade/transition on this trunk.... with all that said, given how cheap the OEM trunk is, I would go with OE CSL. the CF trunks are a PITA to prep and they will never be as smooth as pressed sheet metal. the top will look wavy as hell once its painted.
                Oof - that looks fantastic thanks. The bootlid is 2x2. I'm hoping It'll look good with Steel Gray. Also have the CF rear diffuser that's 2x2.

Comment

Got the lid painted and installed. Quite happy with how it turned out.

Comment

Here's my 1x1 double sided CF VCSL trunk with the edge exposed. Not the greatest pic but I didn't take it.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 CSL Trunk .png
Views:	256
Size:	919.1 KB
ID:	12623
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Bought mine already painted from a forum member several years back. It just has a strip of exposed carbon fiber.

Comment

If I wanted to leave some cf exposed, I’d do the inside of the trunk— so only visible when the trunks open.

Bonus points if it’s matte cf.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i
                        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Ceelooboob View Post
                          Bought mine already painted from a forum member several years back. It just has a strip of exposed carbon fiber.
                          Which brand CSL trunk is this? How are the gaps and overall alignment/fit? I've been tempted to get a CSL trunk for my vert but I've never run across anyone who had particularly good things to say about any brand.
                          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Which brand CSL trunk is this? How are the gaps and overall alignment/fit? I've been tempted to get a CSL trunk for my vert but I've never run across anyone who had particularly good things to say about any brand.
                            My CSL trunk is one of the old Vorsteiner vert trunks. The overall fitment isn't great in my opinion. It seems like its a bit bowed in the middle so it sits higher than the tonneau vert cover. I am not sure if I did something wrong when I installed it or became deformed with time but I spent many hours trying to adjust the alignment and I just couldn't get it right when comparing to my original trunk lid. The gaps and uneven fitment bother me every time I look at it but I do like it as I am a huge fan of the CSL trunk look so I live with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X