Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield Replacement

Hey Guys,

Curious about other members experience/advise for windshield replacement. IE; Going through insurance, installers, and any other parts replaced while doing so.
    I'd conjure, the main front windshield seal is perfect time to replace. Also curious if anyone has gone down the windshield PPF route after? Not sure how much traction they have gained in the automotive world yet.

Thanks in advance!

I'm interested in this. I need to replace my windshield (should have a couple years ago). Has a massive stone chip that was injection filled and was poorly done.

Comment

Safelite did mine, turned out well, minus one thing. They didnt use an OEM windshield gasket, instead one that is a little thicker.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

I believe that the seal is almost always replaced with a windshield replacement, but you should request the BMW product specifically. The optional piece you should do is the lower plastic cowl at the base of the windshield. Also, ask for certain windshield brand availability. I don't think there is a supply of St Gobain anymore. But Pilkington is a good OE. You'll regret a true aftermarket piece which tend to be chinesium.
        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
          I believe that the seal is almost always replaced with a windshield replacement, but you should request the BMW product specifically. The optional piece you should do is the lower plastic cowl at the base of the windshield. Also, ask for certain windshield brand availability. I don't think there is a supply of St Gobain anymore. But Pilkington is a good OE. You'll regret a true aftermarket piece which tend to be chinesium.
          Yep, my mistake for not requesting the OEM seal....but I got Pilkington glass.... so can't complain.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
          2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
            Safelite did mine, turned out well, minus one thing. They didnt use an OEM windshield gasket, instead one that is a little thicker.
            👍 Thanks for that recommendation

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
            Regards to the seal; should I order myself (to ensure its OEM Genuine) - or sorted with your installer?
            Already replaced the lower cowl, but thats a good suggestion for others who haven't and may stumble on this thread.
            Your point on windshield brands is bang on, exactly why I posted. So, the 2 OEM glass options are Pilkington and St Gobain?
            Thanks for this advise

Comment

Working...
            X