Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended shops in the Chicago area for VANOS rebuild + RACP/subframe reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended shops in the Chicago area for VANOS rebuild + RACP/subframe reinforcement

I recently purchased an '02 M3 Coupe with 63K miles and I'm planning out the standard preventative maintenance work.

I'm familiar with Fluid MotorUnion and Performance Eurowerks and was originally planning on one of those two shops. FMU was being a little difficult when I asked if they could specifically use Beisan parts (they won't warranty their work if they use Beisan parts for some reason), so I'm leaning towards Performance Eurowerks for the VANOS work.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these shops (or any others in the Chicagoland area)?
    2002 M3 Coupe 6MT

Yes, let me chime in.

My car is currently at PE for an extensive service.
    • Upper reinforcement, Vince Bar from Europe
    • Lower reinforcement, plates, aluminum bushing, protective coats, etc..
    • ST suspension replacement, including every worn bushing..
    • 4.10 gear upgrade
    I highly recommend the shop, Alex is one of the owners. He is extremely knowledgeable on the e46 platform. In fact, he serviced my first M3 in 2016.
    Be prepared to get on the list though, my appt. was 1 month out from the time I called and given the current situation sourcing OE parts such as the 4.10 gear is difficult. PM if you have any questions.

2002 M3 | 1986 R80 | 2001 EuroVan

Comment

Another vote for performance Eurowerks 👍🏻

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Ask either shop if they bench test their rebuilds to ensure the rebuilt unit holds enough pressure.

Or Buy a rebuilt unit from Mike from Naturally Agitated versus paying an hourly rate for someone to rebuild the unit. Mike bench tests all rebuilt units to ensure they'll hold pressure (up to 115 bar for VANOS!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree with PE. owner is a good guy. ive dealt with him personally before.
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, decided to go with PE.
            2002 M3 Coupe 6MT

Comment

PE answered my emails professionally and answered questions I had. +1

Comment

PE is fantastic

I had mine done at A&L in palatine. They have been doing these for years and mine turned out excellent. The owner is a great guy. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Attractive pricing too.

Now I cant confirm if they can do your vanos rebuild as well. If you want both done at once then maybe PE is the best option.

I haven't heard anything specifically bad about FMU and I have actually seen some e46m3's at their shop when I went to Iron Gate. But PE and A&L is just so much more well known in the area that I would just pick them.

Comment

Working...
                X