Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

Is that a serious question or trolling?
    I think he means the balance between more being known about SMG and the age of SMG cars now.

Comment

Most technicians that I know don't want or care to know how to properly diagnose a SMG issue as there are multiple failures that will have the same symptoms, it's not like getting a cam sensor fault and knowing 99 out of 100 times its a cam sensor. So in the repair shop world the normal thing to do is shotgun a complete hydraulic unit. Then factor in most don't users don't like the driving experience you can see why they got a bad rap.

At the end of the day if you really like it, you'll fix it. If not you'll convert it. Who cares, its your car.
      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
        I like my SMG. It's 14 years old and it hasn't failed soooo. I doubt the fluid has ever been changed but the fluid in the lines looks really good. It basically looks new.
        Famous last words

Comment

I miss the smg but a DCT swap into the e46 like maxpsi did with their shop car would be great.
          IG: https://www.instagram.com/mspir3d/

Comment

Originally posted by jdamore44 View Post

Famous last words
            Well, it's getting new fluid because the trans is out so I'm not really worried. CSL software will probably wear it out quicker but all I really need is a bellhousing for the conversion and I think I'm good. I've slowly accrued the parts over time so I'm not worried but also prepared. Turns out BMW is the best place to by a shifter(cheapest).
            This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post

The guy is a veteran BMW technician with an impressive blog. I think his work speaks for itself.
              Link please?

Comment

Originally posted by Derek //M View Post

Link please?
                Link from the blog: http://www.bimmerdoc.com/

Good reviews online. I didn't know blogs were really a thing still, but his last blog post was from 2014 and the one before that was 2011. I don't know that I would call the blog "impressive".
                2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

Originally posted by Will ZCPM3 View Post

Link from the blog: http://www.bimmerdoc.com/

Good reviews online. I didn't know blogs were really a thing still, but his last blog post was from 2014 and the one before that was 2011. I don't know that I would call the blog "impressive".
                  Thank you!

Comment

Maybe "serious money gone" at the time the article was posted (2011). Now there are cheaper remedies. Particularly the Burkhart Engineering repair kit that cures most problems for a fraction of the price.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerElite View Post
                      Maybe "serious money gone" at the time the article was posted (2011). Now there are cheaper remedies. Particularly the Burkhart Engineering repair kit that cures most problems for a fraction of the price.
                      A fraction, $621 for the kit? That's if you don't also need a Gang detection sensor $496 or a Piston Accumulator $907.

Comment

I have 3 friend locally with smg including me. One car has about 100k, the other has 170k and mine has 140k. I repaired the hcu about 3 years with a rebuilt motor for around 250 bucks, thats it repair wise for all three. I know smg cars have issues and they are not for everyone, i get that. Spreading misinformation about how hard they are to diagnose and promoting a blog from 2011... let go man

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post

A fraction, $621 for the kit? That's if you don't also need a Gang detection sensor $496 or a Piston Accumulator $907.
                          Burkhart Engineering's repair kit comes out to $546 and the accumulator is $797 *IF* you need it. SMG Society sells the motor alone for $313, which typically resolves the issues for most. All a fraction of the ~$4,000 people have been paying for a whole new unit.

As AdamM3 mentioned, there are even cheaper alternatives. The SMG pump motor can be removed and rebuilt for even less.
                          Last edited by JokerElite; 04-11-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X