Strut mount/bearing longevity??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut mount/bearing longevity??

91k miles. I have replaced the lower control arms and their bushings.
    BIlstein B6 dampers recently added.
    Tie rods are good.
    There is this slight "wobble" that occasionally affects the front end as it encounters a change in road camber. It bugs me.
    I'm wondering if the right front strut mount/ bearing is the cause.
    How robust are they?
    They are weak on the E30, but very durable on the E36 M3.

I also have 91k miles on my 2006 'vert, and just replaced almost everything on the front except the LCAs and tie-rods. Did B6 dampers with stock springs, rubber perches top and bottom, new upper mounts w/ bearings, and sway bar end links. Nothing was really worn, but I figure at 14 years old refreshing anything rubber is quickly coming due.

For what you described, the first thing I would consider is actually in the rear. When were your RTABs last replaced? Did you add the RTAB limiters when they were done? Mine went very quickly at around 50k miles...looked fine when I pulled them, but handling went downhill fast when initiating turns.

Going back to the front end, did you get all the sway bar end links secured? Are the shocks fully seated down in the steering perches (one of mine stopped ~1/2" and I didn't notice...my alignment guy fixed it really quick). Assuming you got an alignment, maybe something is just "off" in the way the shop did it?
    Last edited by JamesSJ1; 07-28-2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      T/he rear was my first target. Replaced rtabs with heavy duty stock and limiters. New B6. The feels nice and planted.

This wobble is the last little issue.
      I'll measure the height of the rubber encased guide in the mount and compare it with a new one. On the older chassis, this gets forced up towards the top of the mount by the impacts from bumps fatiguing the rubber.
      I bought a corteco which comes with a bearing that has had the BMW branding defaced.
      If this job fails, I have a lower steering flex joint waiting to go in.

Comment

Working...
      X